SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

2019 Dive Schedule

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:14 am

Hi Gang,
- I've taken the liberty of writing in a schedule of diving dates on my calendar. These are tentative in both date and destination. Please respond with any changes or preferences.
- Main goal here is to reserve dates so that "something else" doesn't take the date and we miss a diving opportunity.

Considerations...
- Weather can be cold early and late in the year. Hard to warm up between dives. Last year we tried putting a heater in the latrine/changing room at Fortune. It worked like a charm! Tent awnings (thanks Ron) have made diving in the rain much easier on surface intervals.
- Spread the word... I can't remember everybody I should send this to.
- This is a schedule where we might get a group together. If it doesn't fit everybody, all of the time, just schedule some other dates for you and your buddy... Get the dates reserved!

(Latest Edit 07/30)
April 26-27 Wazee
May 17-18 Fortune Pond
June 7-8 Wazee
June 21-22 Fortune Pond
July 19-20 Fortune Pond
August 2-3 Wazee or OreBeGone (schedule change - See below)
August 16-17 Fortune Pond
August 30-31 Wazee
September 13-14 Fortune Pond
September 27-28 Wazee
October 11-12 Fortune Pond
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

SurfLung
Master Diver

Re: 2019 Dive Schedule

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:32 am

FYI - That's about 11 "Days and a Half" of diving. Figure 3 dives day one and 2 dives day two... 5 dives per trip. Total 55 dives for the season. Almost nobody but Sea Hunt Jerry and Sheriffdiver Ron fit that many open water dives into a single year. I think just reserving the dates enhances our chances to dive. You can always skip a dive date if something important comes up (graduations, weddings, etc). But there's often too much planning, reservations, and preparation of a dive trip to be able to quickly grab a previously committed date that opens up unexpectedly. :D
SurfLung

SheriffDiver
Master Diver
First Name: John

Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:47 pm

Did over 100 dives in a years time the past year. Will see if I can top 200 this year!!

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:25 pm

I have to attend a wedding on May 25th, but the weekend of May 17th - 18th could work for Fortune Pond for me...

SurfLung
Master Diver

Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:28 pm

Thanks for the feedback Jim and Ron. I changed the schedule to accommodate Jim's wedding committment. Actually the new dates are probably better because they don't interfere with Mothers Day nor Memorial Day. Ron, I know shifting Wazee to the 3-4 takes it out of your available dates. If I shifted things in the other direction, it gets into conflict with some of my own commitments. (Got nephews graduating this year).

(Latest Edit 07/30)
May 26-27 Wazee
May 17-18 Fortune Pond
June 7-8 Wazee
June 21-22 Fortune Pond
July 19-20 Fortune Pond
August 2-3 Wazee and/or Ore-Be-Gone
August 16-17 Fortune Pond
August 30-31 Wazee
September 13-14 Fortune Pond
September 27-28 Wazee
October 11-12 Fortune Pond
SurfLung

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:05 pm

SurfLung wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:32 am
FYI - That's about 11 "Days and a Half" of diving. Figure 3 dives day one and 2 dives day two... 5 dives per trip. Total 55 dives for the season. Almost nobody but Sea Hunt Jerry and Sheriffdiver Ron fit that many open water dives into a single year. I think just reserving the dates enhances our chances to dive. You can always skip a dive date if something important comes up (graduations, weddings, etc). But there's often too much planning, reservations, and preparation of a dive trip to be able to quickly grab a previously committed date that opens up unexpectedly. :D

Hi Eben,

Maybe you remember someone once using the term: “Caribbean luxury divers”.

Well, just for the record, any self respecting “Caribbean luxury diver” would do that many dives in just a "relaxed" couple of weeks of vacation diving in the Caribbean.

I am just saying… :twisted: :D

Just kidding. :D
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

SurfLung
Master Diver

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:04 am

luis wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:05 pm

Hi Eben,

Maybe you remember someone once using the term: “Caribbean luxury divers”.

Well, just for the record, any self respecting “Caribbean luxury diver” would do that many dives in just a "relaxed" couple of weeks of vacation diving in the Caribbean.

I am just saying… :twisted: :D

Just kidding. :D
I DO remember our great Live Aboard adventure to St. Kitts and Saba where the schedule was 5 dives a day for a week! As you know, Jill and I played the senior citizen card and only did three dives a day. But Wow Yes... That's the way to rack up a bunch high quality dive experience.

In our fresh water neck of the woods, it seems like most divers barely get in 1-2 dives a year... And that's often only on a vacation trip to someplace tropical. To get in 20-30 dives over a summer of long distance road trip weekends is a bit of a challenge. But the opportunities are there if a diver keeps our scheduled dates open on his calendar. :)
SurfLung

SheriffDiver
Master Diver
First Name: John

Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:26 pm

Come with us on our dive trips. I will usually have my UDS-1 along if anybody wants to try one!

SurfLung
Master Diver

Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:23 am

Nice video Ron. I think most viewers have no idea how much went into getting the UDS-1 system up and running... From finding a Hydrotest facility that could EV the tanks to fixing the plumbing, etc. Thanks for keeping the UDS-1 dream alive!
SurfLung

SurfLung
Master Diver

Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:44 am

Schedule Change Aug 2-3...
- We're splitting up the schedule this weekend. Those that want to go to Wazee can expect to meet Ron SheriffDiver and a new Vintage friend at Lake Wazee in Black River Falls, WI
- Rich 50,001 Questions and I are heading up to OreBeGone in Gilbert, MN.
- So, there are two official vintage dives going on this weekend... Take your pick!

Explanation: Sea Hunt Jerry was up at OreBeGone in July and shared a video from another diver. Looks like about 50' visibility and lots of stuff to see. Since we've been to Wazee several times, we thought we might go up there (to OreBeGone) and see for ourselves. Ron had already arranged to meet a friend at Wazee. So, we agreed to split up this weekend's dive plans... For the good of the Vintage Diving Community! :)
SurfLung

SurfLung
Master Diver

Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:02 am

Fortune Pond Sept 13-14... To Infinity and Beyond!
- SwimJim and ViAnn had a conflict with the Sept 13-14 dates.
- Others had already made plans and commitments to the original September 13-14 dates. Vacation days applied for and Sunday School teaching. We weren't able change the schedule unfortunately. :(
- So, we're heading up there Sept 13-14 as originally planned and SwimJim and ViAnn are going up the weekend after. Here's a photo of SwimJim with his new Twin 38s and SurfLung (me) with my original USD Twin 38s. Do we look a little like Buzz Lightyear? "To infinity and beyond!" :roll:
Here's Our Plan:
- Rich, Marie, Jill, and I (SurfLung) will drive half way and stay over in Siren WI Thursday night. We're taking two vehicles so that the wives can do some sightseeing, shopping, etc on their own while we're diving.
- Friday Sept 13th we hope to arrive at Fortune Pond around 11:00 AM. We'll dive all afternoon and go out for dinner. We reserved the "BIG" room at Claudia's Lakeshore Motel so we'll have a kitchen and living room to get together, socialize, etc.
- Saturday we plan to dive all day and stay over another night at Lakeshore motel.
- Sunday we'll hit the road early and try to break up the 8 hour drive home with some stops along the way.

If you're thinking of joining us, I recommend you get your motel reservation in now... You can always cancel right up to the day before if you change your plans.
SurfLung

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:18 pm

As Eben said I'll be there on the 20th and 21st. Vi will probably stay home though. It will be a small gathering, but a good time I'm sure.

Swimjim

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”