fishnbeer
Skin Diver
First Name: Jerry

2018 Monterey Rendezvous

Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:06 am

This years Monterey Vintage Rendezvous is scheduled for Sept. 15th &16th. Last year was a great event that had nine vintage gear divers attending. As last year, the event will take place at San Carlos Beach (Breakwater) in Monterey. We will meet early in the grass area above the beach and I will have a "white " pop up canopy and table set up there. If anyone is interested in attending give me a howler and I will give further details.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: 2018 Monterey Rendezvous

Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:15 am

It's a busy weekend for me but I plan on attending Saturday morning early and making a dive. Need to leave by early afternoon Saturday. Mark

Hey Jerry, about what time on Saturday mornings in September does that small strip parking lot fill up that is right next to the grass area ?
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

fishnbeer
Skin Diver

Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:46 pm

Mark so glad you can make it up here on that Saturday. Since the parking lot fills up fast due to the many classes going on, I recommend getting there no later than 7:30 am. It fills up fast, and the lower breakwater parking lot can fill up by 8:00/8:30 am. I plan on bringing my beach wagon/cart, so if anyone has to park further away they can use the wagon to haul gear to our spot on the grass. Be sure to bring lawn chairs & cooler w/ your favorite beverage after. :D

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:51 pm

Jerry,

Just checking that this is the correct spot. Where on the lawn do you usually set up in case I get there early?

Mark
San Carlos Beach Park.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

fishnbeer
Skin Diver

Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:42 pm

From the aerial view, we will be setting up in the lower grass area where in the middle there is a indent curve directly from the beach area. To the right of it you will see several picnic tables across from the curve in the grass. We are usually near the grass edge by the sidewalk. I hope I explained it ok from viewing from the pic. I will be putting up a white colored pop up canopy and will have a "Vintage Divers" sign.

Douchebag
Master Diver

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:18 pm

I miss Monterey

fishnbeer
Skin Diver

Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:35 pm

Last call! With less than two weeks away, I'm inviting anyone who can attend to show up for this get together event. At last count there are four commits and two possible show ups. Last year we had nine divers in the water, but this year we have less committed to come for numerous reasons. But just the same, we will still have fun this year and plan on making it an annual event. See ya there.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:24 am

Hi Jerry,

I'm driving up to Monterey tomorrow. See you on Saturday. Mark

fishnbeer
Skin Diver

Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:14 pm

Wife & I will be heading down to Monterey in a few hours. So far we have at least four committed to being there on Saturday. Sea conditions look pretty good for the weekend. I will see you on Saturday bright and early.
Jerry

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:52 am

This was our dive site. Flat calm, 53 degree water. I could only dive on Saturday so hopefully they are having good dives today as well.

Here are some of my regs. I made sure there was a Kraken in the mix.

This is the rig I dove.  Others have pics of us geared up and diving. My GoPro crapped out on me so no UW shots from me. Hopefully they will post those pics.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:30 pm

Vintage vs. Modern DH, I was outnumbered!

(But my buoyancy/trim was better UW. 8) )
imagejpeg_0_1537143587739.jpg
Photo courtesy of Jim T.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fishnbeer
Skin Diver

Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:06 pm

Good pics Mark, It sure was fun, looking forward to next year. I will post some pics and u/w video when I get home.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:09 pm

Great photos... Thanks! Your regulator collection is beautiful... All of them look like brand new. Makes me think we should be displaying threse things wherever we go... They're just too pretty to keep locked up in our Scuba Rooms.

That's a really nice photo of your 42s, too. As you know, I have a fondness for the little Twin Tank sets.

I was looking at the guy on the balcony of the building in the first picture... Wonder if he knew there was nothing but space below him!
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

DerekRalston
Skin Diver
First Name: Derek

Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:57 pm

Red hoses...YUMMMMMMMM!

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:37 pm

SurfLung wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:09 pm
I was looking at the guy on the balcony of the building in the first picture... Wonder if he knew there was nothing but space below him!
Thanks Eben,

I wouldn't feel too sorry for the guy on the balcony. He probably paid $1,500 per night for that suite. :shock:

Those little Sportsways have perfect balance and buoyancy characteristics. Love 'em.

Mark

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”