swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Fortune Pond October 5th - 6th

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:00 am

Rob, aka 1969Ivan is coming up to my area to do some diving in early October. We will be making a run up to Fortune Pond near Crystal Falls Upper Michigan...... as long as he is in the neighborhood. Well sorta.
We will be driving up and diving the afternoon Friday of the 5th of October, staying over night at the Lake Shore Motel in Iron River, diving Saturday morning, then reutrning to Wisconsin for a few dives in Lake Michigan.
Anyone who wishes to join us is most welcome.

Jim

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Re: Fortune Pond October 5th - 6th

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:43 pm

I for one can't wait! Come one come all and see Jim and I in our hydroglove drysuits.

I can also bring items from The Scuba Museum such as Gray hoses, diaphragms, Voit mouthpieces and so on. Just let me know what you want and I will try to fit it in the Honda.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:08 am

I want to come along. I might come along. It's just that Sea Hunt Jerry and I are going to Florida to dive the springs about two weeks later. Geez, this is only a weekend driving trip... I'm going to try and get there to dive with you guys.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

swimjim
Master Diver

Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:14 pm

SurfLung wrote:I want to come along. I might come along. It's just that Sea Hunt Jerry and I are going to Florida to dive the springs about two weeks later. Geez, this is only a weekend driving trip... I'm going to try and get there to dive with you guys.
It would be great to have you along Eben. I could use a video guy to capture Rob and I in our Hydroglove drysuits! It would be the coolest thing since the "Creature from the Black Lagoon"!

Jim

SurfLung
Master Diver

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:32 am

Hi Jim,
- Jill and I will be coming to Fortune Pond. Had a devil of a time convincing her... I have to clean the bathrooms and wash the dishes at work plus do some of her paperwork. We'll leave here Thursday night and hope to get half the distance traveled before stopping for the night. That ought to get us there on Friday with reasonable time to enjoy the afternoon. I'll bring the GoPro Hero to get video of you two in your hydroglove suite and vintage gear.
- Jill has a new SLR-type camera that has 1080p HD video capability... So, maybe she can get some good surface video. I think she'd probably more into pictures of the fall colors but we'll take what we can get! :roll:
- The main thing is... We're Coming!
SurfLung

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:52 am

Cool Eben. I am looking forward to meeting you.

swimjim
Master Diver

Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:33 pm

Lets all bring our Hawaiian shirts. I hear the weathers going to be toasty. Okay..... Hawaiian parka's maybe. :lol:

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:01 pm

You Lucky Dogs!!!! I'm jealous becuase I cannot dive with other Double Hose divers.

Please put Eben GoPro to work so the rest of us can live vicariously through you. Be safe
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

SurfLung
Master Diver

Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:08 am

Double Hoses and Hydro Gloves...
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHuyrg3PV-s[/video]
- Our Vintage dive weekend at Fortune Pond was lots of fun. Even though the weather was cold and overcast, the water conditions were pretty much the same as they always are... Water temps from the mid 50's down to the low 40's and EXCEPTIONAL visibility... 100' or more was the best we experienced. The upper layer from 0-50 ft was about 30 ft visibility. But below that depth, it was simply astounding how far you could see.
- Robo Rob dove totally vintage the whole weekend except for his dive computer. It was fun to see someone who really has it mastered. Where I was struggling a bit with the buoyancy of a thicker new wetsuit, Rob just puffed and vented buoyancy in and out of the hood of his HydroGlove dry suit.
- SwimJim (as usual) demonstrated both vintage and modern technical diving skills. The HydroGlove dry suit was a new experience for him and he said it was the most flexible, comfortable suit he'd ever dived. He DID get a little wet but attributed it to learning the puffing and venting skills for buoyancy control.
- As the photographer, I was using primarily my double hose regulators, crotch strap styled wing harness, and vintage weight belt... Otherwise I was probably a bit modern with my Phoenix octo, spg, and inflator. Also, I was trying out a commercial self portrait camera pole that ended up wiggling and aiming at the wrong subject alot of the time. Fortunately, I got enough decent hand held video to put together this YouTube.
- The first day we had Rob, SwimJim, Eric P., and Myself diving. Second day our friend Dave from the Deep Sixers came up to dive with us. I didn't get any video on the second day.
- SwimJim and Rob are kind of like Rock Stars in the Vintage world... I really had a good time diving with them but the time we spent visiting over steaks at Alice's Restaurant was over the top.
SurfLung

swimjim
Master Diver

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:46 am

Great video Eben! Thanks for putting that together.

Jim

dprozinski
First Name: Dan

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:52 pm

That was fun to see. Thanks!

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”