SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Fortune Pond Aug 13-15 2021

Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:42 pm

Fortune Pond Aug 13-15 2021
- We've scheduled a Vintage Dive Meet at Fortune Pond Michigan for the weekend of Aug 13-15 2021. Bringing all of our Vintage Regs, tanks, and gear to play with.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Re: Fortune Pond Aug 13-15 2021

Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:24 pm

Dive Report Fortune Pond Aug 13-14.
- Our fearless leader SwimJim was recovering from hip surgery so this is the first time we've been to Fortune and didn't have Jim with us. We did a few dives in his honor and toasted him at dinner, at least.
- Present for diving were SheriffDiver, Tony, Rich, Me and a teenager named Riley. We had three others that said they were coming but ended up no shows. Lots of Twin Tank rigs and double hosed regulators. We dove round label Royals, Snark IIIs, Voit 50 Fathoms and Navys, Phoenix, and more.
- Twin Tanks included USD Twin 38s, Navy Surplus Twin 38s, ScubaPro Twin45s, Sportsways Twin 42s, Navy Surplus Twin 48s, USD Twin 72s, Voit Twin 72s, USD ABS Triples... And plenty of singles, too.
- Scooters... DPVs... Oh man we had fun. I had my SubMerge UV-26, Rich had his Tekna DV-3X with brand new batteries, and Ron had his new Dive Xtras Black Tip Scooter. We rode all the way around the pond in about a 35 minute dive and all of the scooters still had plenty of charge left.
- Visibility was mostly excellent. As always, there are sections and depths of the pond with varying qualities of viz. But it is always better than anywhere else.
- Ron and Rich even tried their hooka hose diving rigs again. Ron's ran free-flow with a vintage Desco mask. Rich's runs like a Snuba with conventional first and 2nd stage regulator and a long hose between.
- Altogether we did 2 dives on Friday and 4 on Saturday. We enjoyed some nice sit down dinners at Alice's restaurant. Ron brought BBQ Beef sandwiches for Saturday's lunch. Rich brought bars. Tony brought cole slaw. And Sunday go-home morning arrived all too quickly.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Fortune Pond Aug 13-15 2021

Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:56 am

Nice report Eben. I wish I could have been in attendance. It sounds like a good time was had by all! I cannot wait until next Spring when I can once again dive the pond!

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”