swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Fortune Pond May 15th - 17th

Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:32 am

I'll be traveling to Fortune Pond in Crystal Falls Michigan May 15th - May 17th to do some diving both modern and Vintage! The state should be open and the snow should be melted by then. Come down or up as the case may be

Jim

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Re: Fortune Pond May 15th - 17th

Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:21 pm

Are the heaters on? I am getting used to water and air in the 80s. Any chance of that in NORTHERN Michigan?
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

swimjim
Master Diver

Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:43 pm

simonbeans wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:21 pm
Are the heaters on? I am getting used to water and air in the 80s. Any chance of that in NORTHERN Michigan?
The heater will be on in my van where I change. I use a dry suit so I'm pretty layered anyway. And then there's the grill with Bratwurst and or the Coleman stove with my home made chili on it. Cold will not be an issue!

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:32 pm

I'll be diving with you SwimJim! I made my reservations at Lakeshore Motel with Claudia. Oh Man I can't wait to go diving at Fortune again. :D
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

swimjim
Master Diver

Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:02 pm

It seems the state of Michigan is shutting down the parks including Fortune Pond until May 15th. If you are caught by the local DNR before that date you could be looking at a $1000.00 fine. The state park is open to locals less than an hour from the park. But I am told if you are three hours out, you are subject to being fined. If they don't extend the shut down order all should be well. Unfortunately the governor of Michigan is as poorly equipped in the brain box as the governor in my own state. NOT GOOD NEWS. We'll see what happens.

swimjim
Master Diver

Sat May 02, 2020 7:57 am

Michigan has extended their shut down order to the end of May. Event is canceled. Boo

SurfLung
Master Diver

Tue May 19, 2020 9:48 am

Simulated Fortune Pond Trip...
- I had the trip planned so I still took the Friday off and just went diving in a couple of our local lakes instead. Friday the 15th was a beautiful day, sunny with no clouds. And the lakes gave me a good 15 feet visibility. I made two dives on Friday and one dive on Sunday. :)
SurfLung

SurfLung
Master Diver

Wed May 20, 2020 10:17 am

SurfLung wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:48 am
Simulated Fortune Pond Trip...
- I had the trip planned so I still took the Friday off and just went diving in a couple of our local lakes instead. Friday the 15th was a beautiful day, sunny with no clouds. And the lakes gave me a good 15 feet visibility. I made two dives on Friday and one dive on Sunday. :)
Had another beautiful sunny day yesterday so I went lake diving after work. Visibility 20 feet at least. One thing about lake diving... You have to take advantage of clear water when you get it. Springtime we have cloudy conditions right after the lakes open up (unfreeze). That's the "turnover" period. Immediately after that the water will clear up BUT... It begins the growing season for weeds and algae. In past years I have seen it clear viz and sunny during the week but put off diving until the weekend... And often weather or something else kept me from diving on the weekend. And then when I finally was able to go, it wasn't good visibility anymore.

So this year, I'm keeping a simple gear set ready at all times and if it looks good on the way home from work, I'm going diving while the diving's good. :)
SurfLung

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”