SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Ore-Be-Gone Dive Report

Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:16 pm

Change of Plans...
- Rich and I were scheduled to go to Wazee last weekend but we changed our minds and went up the Gilbert, MN. To Lake Ore-Be-Gone. This has been a dive "destination" for several years and features underwater attractions and clear water. Last time I was here was over 5 years ago and it was a cloudy, dark day. The facilities were over flowing with garbage, changing house was filthy. And we were all alone. THIS trip was much better. The park facilities have been much better managed. There was a CROWD of happy swimmers and divers, the sun was out, and the water was super clear 50 ft visibility. Here's a copy of the email I sent my dive buddies:
- Hi Guys,
- Rich and I got in 5 great dives at Ore-Be-Gone last weekend. Water was very clear, up to 50 ft visibility. In some areas when swimming along a ridge and looking down all the way to the bottom, it was very much like Fortune Pond. We had fun visiting the helicopter and the school bus on Friday... I think we were there early enough that whoever was there before us had not stirred it up too bad. These two attractions are at about 38-45 feet deep. 2nd dive we went to the right of the swimming beach and saw the speed boat, airplane, and skeleton. 3rd dive we went from the right side stuff past the beach and came out at the boat launch.
- Saturday we arrived at 7:45 and all of the lakeside parking spots were already taken. We parked up on the hill parking lot like the day before. This time, went in on the right side again and Rich took video of the plane and boat. Then we explored along the bottom of the slope about 65-75 feet deep and came out at the boat launch again. For our 5th dive, we remembered the water looked very clear if you went beyond the school bus. So that was our goal. This time the helicopter was still pretty visible but the school bus was silted up enough to almost be un-findable. We went on by and experienced some really beautiful water clarity, cliff, trees, vegetation and even warm water... We were exploring at about 20 ft. deep. That dive was 49 minutes byt the time we finished back at the boat launch.
- The major drawback to Ore-Be-Gone is the crowd of amateur divers and swimmers stirring up the water. Otherwise, I loved the diving.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Re: Ore-Be-Gone Dive Report

Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:42 am

Here's a video from July of this year...
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”