TylerAronson
Diver
First Name: Tyler

U.S. Divers Stream Air Restoration

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:14 pm

Can I get some advice I have how to clean my parts
I did some cleaning with simple green and warm water with a brass brush
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TylerAronson
Diver

Re: U.S. Divers Stream Air Restoration

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:14 pm

More Pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TylerAronson
Diver

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:15 pm

more pictures

TylerAronson
Diver

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:16 pm

More Pictures

TylerAronson
Diver

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:17 pm

More Pictures

TylerAronson
Diver

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:17 pm

More Pictures

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:29 pm

This is what I use. Works fantastic with 20% CLR, 80% water.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... aUQ8wII8wM
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

TylerAronson
Diver

Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:09 pm

What CLR do you use?
Would simple green work?

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:23 pm

Ouch, did you find that one underwater?

CLR works for me too, in ultrasonic cleaner if possible. I mix mine stronger, using hot water. 50/50 hasn't caused me any problems but keep an eye on the progress. It doesn't seem to hurt intact chrome plating, but might cause more injury to plating that is already compromised, so watch closely.

Salt-X is also highly recommended by folks with more experience than I, and may be a better cleaning option, but since CLR is so readily available locally I have been using it for years. I have tested the 50/50 mix on good chromed brass regulator plugs for over 24 hours of immersion with no noticeable damage. Again, you may have different results with already damaged chrome.
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:48 pm

TylerAronson wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:09 pm
What CLR do you use?
Would simple green work?
CLR.jpg
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

hunterkz
Lung Diver
First Name: gary

Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:57 pm

Yes, ultra sonic tank and vinegar or CLR works well. Just check the items every half hour or so to make sure they are not getting eaten up. You can find very cheap units on amazon or ebay. You can also send out those parts after getting cleaned up and polished to get electro plated. Many jewelry repair shops will plate items for you for cheap. They don't use usually have chrome but will have gold or zirconium that will protect the internal components from corrosion. Another trick to clean small parts if you have an air compressor is a spot blast gun from harbor freight and use baking soda as the media.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:41 am

That one is pretty rough.
To remove the remaining goo of the duckbill, I find denatured alcohol to work great. Here is a link to a thread I started a while back showing how I remove them when they are bonded to the horns.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9212&p=73942&hilit=alcohol#p73942
Herman

TylerAronson
Diver

Sun May 06, 2018 12:02 pm

Thanks for the advice on the Ultra Sonic did the trick
Do I need to have my pieces re-chromed or will they be fine as is?
Also, I accidentally broke the faceplate tabs is there a way to Glue it to the can or any way to get it to stay on the can?

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun May 06, 2018 2:41 pm

TylerAronson wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 12:02 pm
Do I need to have my pieces re-chromed or will they be fine as is?

I have only re-chromed for cosmetic reasons. As long as you wash and dry your parts after each dive trip I personally don't see a need to re-chrome. Others may have different views.

Also, I accidentally broke the faceplate tabs is there a way to Glue it to the can or any way to get it to stay on the can?

I always add a drop of silicone to the back of the name plate but that is just to keep it from sliding around too much even with the tabs. Without the tabs I'm not sure silicone sealant would be enough. I think 3M makes a double-sided adhesive tape that some folks have used for the round label HW and early 70's USD round labels. I forget the name. Otherwise, just order a new repro label from Allan. His are great. Can't tell the difference from the original. Good luck. Mark.

Return to “New Vintage Equipment Diver's Forum”