jakegreenway
First Name: jake

voit 50 fathom with downstream mechanism

Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:58 pm

im working on a 50 fathom with the downstram mechanism and im looking for tips and avdive you can offer as im new to working on these vintage regs. Im also having trouble finding a service kit. on the voit single stage kit it says the one for the downstream mechanism is available elsewhere in the catalog but i havent been able to find it. thanks for your help

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: voit 50 fathom with downstream mechanism

Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:09 pm

You'll want to get a hold of Greg Barlow, resident expert on all things Voit. :D

jakegreenway

Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:22 pm

thanks

Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:15 pm

Does the HP seat leak? If not, leave it alone! Getting a kit isn't a bad idea for the future, but if this ain't broke..... You should replace the rubber can to valve body gasket, put in a new duckbill, or better yet, a DBE, and the main diaphragm. If your lever adjuster screw and nut are stuck, you can buy a new stainless allen setscrew and a new stainless nut on line or at most hardware stores.

If you have a leak, take the bottom can off and the diaphragm out. Put it on the tank and check for a leak. If it's hissing, check your tank o-ring, and any other possible leak site. Just because you hear a leak, it doesn't mean it's the HP seat. Spray it w/ soapy water.

If it doesn't leak, your diaphragm lever adjustment is the most likely culprit.

Good luck!

jakegreenway

Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:11 pm

thanks. i have it cleaned and reassembled. I put it on a tank at 2200 psi and its working good. I'm waiting on a new diaphragm that should be here in a day or two then i can finish up and have this back in the water.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:45 pm

It's been a few years since I rebuilt my 50 Fathom. Seemed pretty easy but I do recall an issue with installing the spring. Had to go searching for it several times when it launched itself. :)
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

jakegreenway

Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:40 pm

well i didn't loose the spring but i had to soak it in CLR to get everything separated, there was a fair bit of buildup in there. With the size of those springs I'm impressed you found it after it went flying!

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:53 pm

Lawyers are good at Springing people out of Jail!

Return to “New Vintage Equipment Diver's Forum”