ScubaJimbo
Skin Diver
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:22 pm
First Name: Jim
Location: Greenville SC

Duckbill eliminator.

Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:18 pm

What holds it in place? Just the friction fit into the horn?

User avatar
Herman
VDH Moderator
Posts: 1285
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:45 pm
Location: Raleigh NC

Re: Duckbill eliminator.

Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:05 pm

It is "glued" in with silicone sealant. I use clear or black.
More specifically, you place a small bead around the end of the DBE and a small amount behind the valve then insert it into the horn at a slight angle until it seats then lower it onto the can. I wipe off any excess that extrudes from around the horn. Allow it to set up at least over night, a couple of days is better.
Herman

ScubaJimbo
Skin Diver
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:22 pm
First Name: Jim
Location: Greenville SC

Re: Duckbill eliminator.

Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:50 pm

Herman wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:05 pm
It is "glued" in with silicone sealant. I use clear or black.
More specifically, you place a small bead around the end of the DBE and a small amount behind the valve then insert it into the horn at a slight angle until it seats then lower it onto the can. I wipe off any excess that extrudes from around the horn. Allow it to set up at least over night, a couple of days is better.
Makes sense!
Thanks so much!

User avatar
rhwestfall
Master Diver
Posts: 562
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:34 pm
First Name: Robert
Location: "La Grande Ile"

Re: Duckbill eliminator.

Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:35 am

There is also a recommendation to put a dab on the back side of the "head", and adhere it to the can.
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

User avatar
Herman
VDH Moderator
Posts: 1285
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:45 pm
Location: Raleigh NC

Re: Duckbill eliminator.

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:08 am

rhwestfall wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:35 am
There is also a recommendation to put a dab on the back side of the "head", and adhere it to the can.
I realized I might not have been clear on the second place to put the silicone. As he says, it's between the back of the DBE and the top can. NOT inside of the DBE as my post might have suggested.
Herman

User avatar
captain
Plank Owner
Posts: 1407
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:32 am
Location: LaPlace, LA

Re: Duckbill eliminator.

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:35 am

For a more permanent installation use 3M 5200 marine sealant.
Captain

User avatar
antique diver
Master Diver
Posts: 2075
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:50 pm
First Name: Bill
Location: North-Central Texas

Re: Duckbill eliminator.

Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:01 pm

captain wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:35 am
For a more permanent installation use 3M 5200 marine sealant.
How tough is it to get off later if desired?
The older I get the better I was.

User avatar
captain
Plank Owner
Posts: 1407
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:32 am
Location: LaPlace, LA

Re: Duckbill eliminator.

Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:48 am

Not impossible but tough. Here are some methods, but some may end up damaging the DBE.
I see no need to ever remove the DBE so it is what I used.

https://www.boatingmag.com/marine-solve ... ving-5200/
Captain

ScubaJimbo
Skin Diver
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:22 pm
First Name: Jim
Location: Greenville SC

Re: Duckbill eliminator.

Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:19 pm

I wish there was a Duckbill Eliminator that would take the old crusty duckbill out of the horn :D

User avatar
ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
Posts: 1582
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:25 am
First Name: Mark
Location: Laguna Beach, CA

Re: Duckbill eliminator.

Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:45 pm

ScubaJimbo wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:19 pm
I wish there was a Duckbill Eliminator that would take the old crusty duckbill out of the horn :D
Soak overnight in denatured alcohol. Works amazingly. M
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Return to “New Vintage Equipment Diver's Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests