ScubaJimbo
Skin Diver
First Name: Jim

Thoughts on Kraken

Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:27 pm

Hi, everyone.
I’ve got my cart full of parts to restore my USD DH to glory.
Then I watch the video on the Kraken and all I can think of is “whoa that is so cool!”
I prob can get either the kraken OR the cart of parts (plus a backplate) past the wife this year.
Thoughts?

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Thoughts on Kracken

Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:46 pm

ScubaJimbo wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:27 pm
Hi, everyone.
I’ve got my cart full of parts to restore my USD DH to glory.
Then I watch the video on the Kracken and all I can think of is “whoa that is so cool!”
I prob can get either the kracken OR the cart of parts (plus a backplate) past the wife this year.
Thoughts?
Get a Kraken and don’t look back. There will be plenty of time to restore old DH regs but, IMHO, the Argonaut Kraken is a thing of art, beauty, and functionality with a “cool factor” built in that is unbeatable. Plus, it comes with a guarantee that beautiful women (or whatever suits your fancy) will flock to you in droves when you are wearing one on the dive boat. :) I’ve had my Kraken for 5 years now and love it! My humble 2psi. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

swimjim
Master Diver

Re: Thoughts on Kraken

Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:09 pm

The Kraken is a wonderful regulator and you will want one. But if your list has what you need to restore a vintage reg AND a vintage double hose back plate, go that direction. KEY to double hose diving and getting the most out of your reg is the position that the reg sits on your back. The VDH back plate is by far the best that can accomplish that.
I not only dive the Kraken and Phoenix, I dive DAAM's, Mistrals, Healthways Gold labels, DivAir, Nemrod Snark III, and various Dacor double hosers. Without proper positioning of the reg's on my back, many of these regs would really not work well. Getting the cans between the shoulder blades and against the back is really critical for double hose diving. You can have the greatest reg ever, but it it rides up behind your head it won't breath worth beans.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:15 pm

Pimping an old model will get you close, but will never be what a Kraken can be.... That being said, updating an old one has its own cool factor, and are great breathers (if you position them right). I started with a Kraken, now have it and a number of other USD DH regs, and now am exploring Viot... Love diving them!

You really do want the vintage plate, so if the way to get it is to rebuild, go for it! I don't think Bryan plans to end Kraken production, so you eventually can treat yourself to one.

Careful, it is addicting!
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:26 pm

If you were planning on spending a similar amount, go straight to Kraken! You can always start a project while you enjoy diving your Kraken. Doooo it... you know you wanna!
You are never too old to start a new hobby.

ScubaJimbo
Skin Diver

Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:21 pm

Thanks everyone.
Good points on both sides. The answer is to just get more money and do both :)

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:05 pm

My evolution is a funny one. My first foray was getting a Kraken when I found the funding campaign on this site when looking for parts for my vintage single hose regs. What perfect timing! Then, after hanging here a bit, I decided to get a DA. Scoured the scene for a bit, and found one on the "big auction site". Figured my budget, and bid, with a maximum established. During the process, it was doing okay, but then all of the sudden, a gem popped up with a "buy now" option that was fantastic. Immediately pulled the trigger (three minutes into the posting) before it went into bidding phase. Then, I ended up winning the damn auction too! Okay, now I have 2..... Both went off to Bryan, and were refurbished two different ways. From there, it became addictive, and the collection has grown (needed a DIN version), and another one was added. Then, I got a "less than perfect" one to pimp out and specifically dive in salt water for a vacation trip. After my daughter test dove it one day, I was instructed to get her one too..dad must spoil the child... Then, I somehow got interested in the Voit Trieste. Got an original, and also one with Rob's FX cans...

By no means am I "heavy" in them compared to others, but 8 of them are here in my home....

Careful....
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

ScubaJimbo
Skin Diver

Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:47 pm

I TRULY appreciate the thoughtful responses!
In the end, I ordered the stuff to rebuild the AquaMaster since I needed the backplate for either scenario anyhow and I didn’t quite have the $$ for the kraken with the backplate.
Now to save my pennies and get in on a kraken production run soon!

Return to “New Vintage Equipment Diver's Forum”