Freefall1621
First Name: Frank

Glad To Be New But...

Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:00 am

Wow...I always thought the DH would make a come back and I'm heartened to see the activity and commitment to this forum and community so thanks for letting me join. Two things if I may.

1. My wife and have Dive Rite Trans Packs. Great for single hose diving and I've picked up a little here that the DH and the Trans Pack are a very good fit. However, if there are any more definitive details on any additional modifications needed for the Transpack. One last question if I may on this subject. What would be the optimal BC device to accommodate the Kraken DH? I'll be purchasing two here in the very near future. Wife and I are excited about going over to DH diving.

2. Been diving since '72. Certainly no dive god...not even close...never will be. I only state this because I, like many here have seen so many changes in the equipment and the industry; some good and some I do my best to avoid. How receptive are dive operations for divers diving the DH regulators? I ask this because I've been on some boats where (while I was not the object of an DM's equipment edicts) I thought some of those decisions were a little off the wall and made to prove a point to the customer that, "I'm the DM and you're not and you'll do what I say..."

Open to any answers on these two areas and again, thanks a bunch :D !

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Glad To Be New But...

Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:47 am

Full disclosure, I have no experience with a Transpac. Best combo BC and backplate for the Kraken (or any DH) IMHO is the VDH backplate (designed to place the DH optimally on your back for best breathing) and a wing - see:

https://vintagedoublehose.com/store/#!/ ... ry=1874499

https://vintagedoublehose.com/store/#!/ ... ry=1874499

Here is how I have my VDH backplate set up. Good luck and welcome to the board!

As to your second question, I've never had a problem (one 20 year old divemaster in Hawaii once called her boss to see if it was ok :) ). As long as you look like you know what you are doing it seems to not cause much of an issue.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

2THDIVR
Master Diver
First Name: Scott

Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:00 pm

Most operations will want you to have an octo and pressure gauge.

2THDIVR
Master Diver
First Name: Scott

Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:01 pm

Most operations will want you to have an octo and pressure gauge.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:32 pm

Welcome to the board. The key to a DH hose is getting it to the correct position. That is between your shoulder blades and as close to your back as possible. I have no experience with a Transpac so Im not going to be much help with it. Put it one with a tank and see if you can get a tank valve to the correct location. Depending on how tall you are, the tank will likely feel way too low, it does on me.

As for dive ops not allowing it, so far I have not had any issues with dive ops. I don't ask questions and don't bring attention to my equipment esp if it's the first time on their boat. Be prepared to discuss the reg, how it's a NEW reg of new design and not an old reg. Show that it has the SPG, Octo and inflator just like all the other regs on the boat IF ASK but otherwise keep quiet.

And by all means, ask questions and learn form the members here. We are all experienced DH divers with lots of dive time on both the AK and old DH regs.
Herman

Freefall1621
First Name: Frank

Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:17 am

Much obliged by your response!

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:45 pm

Just saw this thread.. welcome to the forum. There are some intelligent, resourceful and experienced divers on this forum and always willing to help when asked. I use a transpac with my Kraken and round label aquamaster and it works great for me. I also use the VDH plate and wing combo, a custom Allen harness and a USD "dog bone" backpack. I'm a big guy and find the transpac perfect for my big chest and girth. You must add a crotch strap to keep the can in place. I also removed the pad because I'm thick enough. Hope this helps. Good luck. Mike
You are never too old to start a new hobby.

Return to “New Vintage Equipment Diver's Forum”