ZAP123
First Name: Zachary

New member and need advice

Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:47 pm

I am a brand new member and new diver. Im in Atlanta and was hoping to find some people in the southeast to help me out with equipment questions and rebuild. I have been renting new gear but want to build up my own gear to use. I would be using calypso, 108, or 109 as my octo and want to use the kraken as primary. I have collected a fair amount of old gear from a garage sale and want to get started. never even changed a tank gasket so I am pretty clueless. if nothing else it would be nice to find some diving friends. I go down to Florida springs pretty regular.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Re: New member and need advice

Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:39 pm

Welcome to the group Zachary. For advice, you need to ask something specific. If you have a Kraken, that's usually a new regulator so you probably don't have to service it. But if you need to know the nuances of diving with a DH, I believe you'll find links to How-to articles at the bottom of this page.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

ZAP123
First Name: Zachary

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:25 pm

Thanks, I dont have specific questions yet as I dont know what I need to ask. I dont have a Kraken yet. Looking to find out what all I need for it, how to set up, etc.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:32 pm

Hey Zachary!

Welcome! Learning how to rebuild you own regs (1st, 2nd stages...) is not rocket science, but it is regulator science. SurfLung is correct that most all of the schematics and repair manuals are provided free courtesy of VDH in the "manuals and catalogs" link at the bottom of the page. Info and schematics on the Kraken are also found there. Look them up by brand. I have dove with my Kraken since 2014 and absolutely love it. Like any other reg there are ports for a pressure gauge and for LP inflators.

There are a number of really good books out there that will give you a great background in the theory of how regs work - "Regulator Savvy" is a good one. Although I knew how regulators worked, I have zero formal training in regulator repair. It took me a few years and about 20 rebuilds to feel comfortable rebuilding diaphragm regs, piston regs, various second stages, etc... I still run into issues that leave me scratching my head and running to this forum for advice. Everyone here is really good about responding. Have fun with your projects, but do expect a learning curve as opposed to being able to just jump in and fix stuff. My 2psi. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Herman
VDH Moderator

Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:14 pm

Welcome to the board.
Diving a DH reg, be it a Kraken or a vintage one is a little different from diving a single hose reg so do your research on the subject. I would suggest starting off with a proper back plate for a DH reg since it will also work perfectly with a single hose reg. BCs not specifically designed for DH regs do not work well with DH regs but those designed for DH regs work fine with single hose reg. The one VDH sells was specifically designed for DH use by a DH diver and it's a good value so it is a prefect choice.
Pretty much any second stage can be used as your octo, the 3 you mentioned would all work fine. I think my suggestion on how to proceed would be to get a VDH back plate/wing and service one of the regs you have....I assume you have a first amount the stuff you have acquired. You can dive it until you get an AK and learn servicing in the process. What single hose first do you have?
And PLEASE ask questions, some of the best DH divers and overall great people are here on this board. I have had the pleasure of diving with many of them and call all of them friends.
Herman

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:28 pm

The previous posters pretty much nailed it. But Welcome aboard!!

technidiver2
Diver
First Name: Alex

Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:02 pm

Hi ZAP, to respond to your question I'd recommend a few things.

Firstly, don't pour a ton of money into any regs. Sellers on eBay usually tend to charge exorbitant amounts for crappy regs. Try not to get caught in that.

Secondly, I'd personally buy a beat up conshelf as a learner reg for the RAM, and the Argonaut. Pretty much the same first stage with minor changes.

And lastly, before you get the Argonaut, you might want to start off with a simpler regulator, like a 1 stage reg. A great way to get into vintage diving and fixing the gear. The best options are USD Mistrals and Healthways Scuba's. Both can be found for cheap at time to time, and you can grab all the parts on The Scuba Museum for a Mistral, and get new replacements here.

Feel free to send me a PM if you need help locating regs or parts!

TD

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:02 am

Double Hose 101...
- It's a thread right on this section of the forum. Bryan has links to various aspects of double hose diving, skills to learn, equipment positioning, etc. I was trying to remember where I saw it and its right here in front of us! :)
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=8393

And here's a direct link to all of the documents:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gjfjq8kdrwnj ... _uj-a?dl=0
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

h2operations
Master Diver
First Name: Paul

Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:47 pm

Zach,
I am newer to the forum but will tell you this, you won't find a better group of guys wanting to help you in your quest. There is a great wealth of knowledge that they are always willing to share.

Thank you again guys!

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:50 am

swimjim wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:28 pm
The previous posters pretty much nailed it. But Welcome aboard!!
DITTO THE ABOVE! WELCOME ZACK!
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Return to “New Vintage Equipment Diver's Forum”