uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Any of you own PST (9791 series) tanks?

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:55 pm

This post is for anyone owning a PST HP tank (9791 series). To know if you have one of these tanks, look for the following information that will be stamped on the neck of the tank:

1) It will be marked with E9791 or SP9791
2) It will say PST
3) The working pressure will be either 3442 or 3500
4) The tank will be gray, black, blue, or yellow

The message below is from a local forum I belong to, do your own research:

Here are very recent updates on the steel tank issue from two SoCal shop owners:

New info this am from DOT concerning the PST Scuba cylinders DOT-E9791 / SP 9197 Series with pressures of 3500 / 3442. The Exemption and CFR were slightly ambiguous and we asked for complete clarification. Exemption: No person may use or apply this special permit, including display of its number, when this special permit has expired or is otherwise no longer in effect. Quoted from DOT: "The cylinders manufactured under the terms of the special permit may not be used after the permit has expired." Also, as we stated before, on 22 Jan DOT stated they had not heard from PST concerning a renewal...

As of this morning... 27 Jan, DOT states: "I’m in communication with the grantee of DOT-SP 9791, he insists he is going to request renewal. We’ll expedite his request if and when we receive it." Soooo, in the mean time.... all hydros of tanks received are in fact on hold. The only tanks we are doing right now are those that already need or were very close to, needing a new hydro. PST is out of business, that rumor is true but it sounds like someone has purchased the rights to all PST assets... At one time when they went under, PST owed much more than assets. It appears someone is attempting to keep it alive in some fashion. (I can't release this info just yet)

I just (Tues, 1/27 @ 9:30AM PST) got off the phone with Bob Darling of PST Cylinders, LLC (which is what Pressed Steel morphed into) and he assured me that he has filed the renewal paperwork as of yesterday. He said he was having some computer issues but they have been solved and this should go through. The renewal may not get approved prior to January 31 which is when the current one seems to expire (despite the fact that website says 2/28/2015) but the gap will likely be short because, as he told me, the sooner the renewal gets processed the sooner both he and the DOT will stop getting calls about it.

This link should allow you to track the progress of the renewal. Just type in "SP9791". Bob says he doesn't think anything will show up on the website until tomorrow: PHMSA - Home

The other good news is that there's no fee on Bob's end to do this so he says he intends to continue to renew the SP down the road.

2THDIVR
Master Diver
First Name: Scott

Re: Any of you own PST (9791 series) tanks?

Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:37 pm

I own 7 of the HP 100's
The same thing went on the last time the renewal was due.

Thanks for the info

Scott

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:54 pm

from discussions on other boards, all is well. It may not happen by the 1/30 deadline (listed as 2/XX), but it has been reportedly submitted... there were some links posted to see the status, but I don't have them handy.
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:31 pm

my apology in advance for posting a link to another board, but this discussion answers your inquiry fairly well:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tanks- ... ost7327390
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:25 pm

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Return to “Tanks and Valves”