Automan
Lung Diver
First Name: Ian

UK Twin Set

Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:44 am

I just got this I guess from the 70's twin set...

I must admit when I saw the picture of it I did not realise it would have a J Valve and when you operate it air comes out of the round holes on the valve body.

I also am not sure what the J Valve would actually do in such a configuration?

Does it turn off one of the tanks or only use one of the tanks at low pressure?

It is now on its way to a IDEST test center which has experience of old kit including J Valves.

http://www.sita.org.uk/idest/

I shall report back more when I get there report...

Automan
Lung Diver

Re: UK Twin Set

Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:10 pm

Getting worried,

They are still working on my Twin Set...

A modern one in the UK can cost over £150.00 to test (if nothing is wrong with it) let alone my old one.

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:20 am

Did you take note of the info on the tank's shoulder before you you sent them in for testing. Man, £150 seems kinda steep! Hope it turns out ok...

crimediver
Master Diver

Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:32 pm

Sounds steep to me too Ed for some o rings and vinegar. I could see if that was 150 in pesos. :lol:

Automan
Lung Diver

Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:56 am

Tank testing in the UK can cost a lot even worse if they need an internal shot blast.

Anyway, got a phone call today, the valves on my tanks are not serviceable and thus there is no point in testing / examining the tanks.

When I get them back I shall check the diameter of the tanks and see if I can fit some new tanks in the old harness.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:08 pm

I dont believe for a moment that your manifold cant be serviced....Unless there is something I cannot tell from the pictures I would bet 99% of the service parts are off the shelf items.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

DaleC
Master Diver
First Name: Dale

Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:47 pm

I agree. Not to paint all shops with the same brush but I don't believe anything any one shop says about vintage gear. If several people say he same thing maybe... or if they can point to an actual defect perhaps. What's funny/sad is when you begin to know more about old gear than the dive shop and recognize pure BS when it's offered.
Happiness is finding someone who, though they may not dive the gear themself, respects other peoples choices and sees gear from a purely logical/mechanical POV. Sounds like you may need to look around the UK a bit more to find someone more vintage savvy.
NAVED #203
#20 International Brotherhood for the Assistance of Stateless Persons

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:53 pm

Many of us have repaired all kinds of valves, and I find it hard to believe that we couldn't help you out with your manifold with some advice and parts. Don't let them keep anything! You get it all back and maybe something can be done with it.

Looks like your tanks have a brass or copper band on the necks with the stamped pressures, serial #, dates of testing, and maybe the test pressure. I have a couple of UK tanks with same bands. Would be curious to know everything that is stamped on there when you get a chance.

Also good close photos of your valves and threads, and eventually of the disassembled parts inside.

Good luck and don't give up yet! You will find some friends on this side of the pond that will try to help you. :D
The older I get the better I was.

Automan
Lung Diver

Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:56 pm

I have my tanks back now and will try and take some closeup photos of the parts.

I have also noted the tank boots are made by Nemrod.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”