time2dive
Vintage Diver

Different cylinder sizes

Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:15 pm

My steel 72's are roughly 6.65x25 and my 38's are roughly 6.75x20. That being said I have a number of tanks that are not....

I have a tank that is 6.75x24 1800psi, one that is 6.5x21 2015 psi and a set of doubles that have concave bottoms and are 7.75x23 1800 psi.
Does anyone know what size these other tanks are?
Cranky old man, diver, photographer, scarer of children
http://www.kona-hydrostatic-testing.com/

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Re: Different cylinder sizes

Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:01 am

- I think there's a formula for figuring it out but you first need to know the internal volume... Which I think you get by filling up the tank with liquid and then measuring how much liquid it took... cubic inches or cc's. I didn't want to find out bad enough to do all that... :roll:
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Re: Different cylinder sizes

Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:00 pm

You're best bet is to check the tank chart in Basic Scuba. I'm at work, so I cannot referrence it now for you. Mr. Roberts, I beleave, also has the equation in the book.

There are a ton of size charts on the internet, so you can always check the size of a comparable tank and then use working pressure to find a close percentage of your tank size - or vice versa. Your search will be easier if you go by manufacturer, but you'll still get a bunch of hits.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Return to “Tanks and Valves”