Master Diver
First Name: Kim

Aluminium tanks used by USN EOD

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:45 am

What colour were the aluminum tanks used by the USN EOD? I assume that they were black, but I have read that they were painted grey.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kim,
Ocean Trekker, Dangerous When Wet.
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" Douglas Barder.

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Re: Aluminium tanks used by USN EOD

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:34 am

kimJackson1 wrote:What colour were the aluminum tanks used by the USN EOD? I assume that they were black, but I have read that they were painted grey.

Thanks,

One of the members says that his were painted grey on this thread...

http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/forum/ ... =41&t=5535

I have one Non-Magnetic tank, but it shows no sign of ever being painted at all.

On a side note: I was working in a dive shop in the early 90's when a tank came through that had a black(looked anodized) stubby valve in it. The owner of the shop said it was a military valve, but I've never read about anything that compares to it. My non-mag tank has a regular valve in it, but if I ever find out that it is supposed to have something different, then I may try to restore it to a more accurate EOD setup.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:22 pm

sitkadiver wrote:
kimJackson1 wrote:What colour were the aluminum tanks used by the USN EOD? I assume that they were black, but I have read that they were painted grey.

Thanks,

One of the members says that his were painted grey on this thread...

http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/forum/ ... =41&t=5535

I have one Non-Magnetic tank, but it shows no sign of ever being painted at all.

On a side note: I was working in a dive shop in the early 90's when a tank came through that had a black(looked anodized) stubby valve in it. The owner of the shop said it was a military valve, but I've never read about anything that compares to it. My non-mag tank has a regular valve in it, but if I ever find out that it is supposed to have something different, then I may try to restore it to a more accurate EOD setup.

Voit (or maybe the Swimaster line) used some black anodized aluminum valves a long time back. I think it may have been late 70's, or maybe even early 80's. Probably could find them browsing through the Voit catalog section to pin down that time period.
The older I get the better I was.

Master Diver

Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:07 pm

Thank you for your responses. I think I will paint the tanks grey with a black nonmag manifold and a black nonmag reg, with a black nylon doubles harness.

What do you think? :roll:
Kim,
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" Douglas Barder.

sitkadiver
Master Diver

Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:39 pm

kimJackson1 wrote:Thank you for your responses. I think I will paint the tanks grey with a black nonmag manifold and a black nonmag reg, with a black nylon doubles harness.

What do you think? :roll:

Sounds like a great set-up. Please post some pics when you get it done, I'd like to see it.

BTW, I went out to the shed last night and looked over my tank. It definately has some gray paint up on the neck, so it looks like it had a finish similar to the Captains, that was removed by someone in the past.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Master Diver

Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:58 am

When it is done I will post pictures.

Grey tanks is the way to go I think.
Kim,

kgehring
Master Diver

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:32 pm

Grey painted. I have 3 sets
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

sitkadiver
Master Diver

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:06 am

In my PSI class I was told that round bottom aluminum tanks used by the military are not to be hydro'd or filled. The instructor refrenced 2 different manufactures, but I do not recall the manufactures names. Has anyone else heard of this? Or, better yet, know how to identify the specific tanks that are supposed to be condemned?

kgehring
Master Diver

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:33 pm

There is no DOT rating so they can not be stamped by a hydro company. I tested mine and they passed but cant be stamped. Doesn't mean I wont dive them!
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

Master Diver

Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:27 am

My REG and manifold are NONMAG but it would now appear that the tanks are not original. They are USD aluminium tanks with a NAVY MKII decal.

The end result will still be just as good I think.

Thank you all for your input.
Kim,

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:32 am

In the very late 1950's had several of the early USN 1/2 valve aluminum tanks which I obtain from a company in Fullerton California called "Industrial Analysis" that was is some way attached to PST. I suspect Industrial Analysis is no longer in business

"As I recall" The tanks were anodized to a greenish grey color. The manufacture plug was visible on the bottom.

SDM

Andrew513
First Name: Fred

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:12 pm

I was a hospital corpsman with training as a Navy Diver. A training I am proud to say was the best.
All of our military grade "90's" were coated with something like a varnish. Never saw any of the military "90's" painted, there may have been some however.
The old 90's were slightly larger in diameter (8"+) and usually had a black in appearence manifold. The other thing about the old aluminum 90's is they were not ICC or DOT stamped. If you saw a set and looked at the bottom you would note a plug in it. Those cylinders were actually spun aluminum.
I'm actually looking for a military non-mag manifold for twin 90's

Master Diver

Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:45 am

Andrew,

Thanks for the information.

Keep looking, you'll eventually find yourself a NONMAG. It took me a while. A word of wrning though. Thay are expensive. :shock:

These are some picturs of mine as it currently is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kim,

Return to “Tanks and Valves”