9fingers
Diver
First Name: Tim

Appreciate some info on these tanks

Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:33 pm

I don't know much about these, each are very similar and are supposed to be about 5" diameter and 23" long, 1/2" tapered threads...still waiting to here about how much they weigh:

ICC3AA2100 PSI U81724 6.66WR 8@59 3E77
ICC3AA2100 PSI K-47922 PST 10@56 9E75
ICC3AA2100 PSI 355255 PST 11@53
ICC3AA2100 PSI 147.63 KG/CM2 730725 PST 8@60 4E69 9E75
ICC3AA2100 PSI 80247-C 8E63 9E75
ICC3AA2100 PSI P31155 FSI 7@62

I'm still trying to find some tanks to double or triple, something hopefully lighter than the Faber LP-45's I have (17.6 pounds)...that will work well with my double-hose DAAM.

Thanks, Tim H/ 9-fingers

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: Appreciate some info on these tanks

Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:22 pm

From the dimensions (and the pressure) I would guess they are old EMS O2 tanks.

In the 60's and 70's those tanks were commonly used in the North East by wreck divers as pony bottles.

It sounds like an "E" size cylinder, which I think it is a about 24 cu ft, but I am not sure.

You should be able to do a Google search and get more information. The only issue is that most EMS tanks are now aluminum, but there should be information on the steel ones since they are still around.

Good luck.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

9fingers
Diver

Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:45 pm

I'm told they each weigh about 15 pounds empty without valves.. so pretty close to the Faber LP-45's I own in weight and size, but with the 1/2" NPT threads. Thanks Luis.

9fingers
Diver

Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:18 pm

Further info: The medical oxygen size E tanks I found on a google search just now were 4.5" diameter and 24-26" long- these have flat bottoms. I'm sure there were more than one size of these.

And I found "Aviator's Breathing Oxygen, 2100 PSI" bottles in a similar size that used to (and still may be) made by Luxfer, these have rounded bottoms- found at
http://www.luxfercylinders.com/products ... -cylinders

I'll find out if the cylinders have rounded or flat bottoms :D LOL, seems like might be more than one way to look at that..."nice-looking cylinder bottom you have there"

Tim

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:26 pm

The numbers you posted are ICC 3AA 2100
• The ICC is the Interstate Commerce Commission (predecessor to DOT: Department of transportation).
• The 3AA is the code for chrome-molybdenum steel (per CFR49, Code of Federal Regulations)
• And the 2100 is the working pressure in psi.

As far as I know, only aluminum DOT cylinders have ever been made with a flat bottom.
Therefore, they will not have a flat bottom.

The steel 3AA cylinders are normally round bottoms, but some of the older ones had knobs or a champagne bottle looking bottom that allowed them to stand up.

As I mentioned, most modern EMS cylinders are aluminum.

Those cylinders have original dates from 1953 to 1962 (the number after the @) and from the code, we already know they are chrome-moly steel.

If those are old EMS cylinders they will probably have the champagne style bottom. When you look at them standing up they may look like a flat bottom, but when you lift them, you will see the difference.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

9fingers
Diver

Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:20 am

Thanks again, Luis. The tanks above were described to me to have round bottoms. I figured out all the rest of the stamps but appreciate your reply and it confirms my own findings.

I'm familiar with the steel "EMS" oxygen bottles (I've been involved with EMS for almost 30 years), but I forgot about the champagne-styled bottoms until you mentioned it...my bad, the ones I found on my earlier google search were not "flat-bottomed" but, in fact "champagne-bottomed" Yes, the steel ones are rarer now and mostly the smaller aluminum "D" sized cylinders (about 4.4" x 20") are used out here.

Bob3 posted some time ago here or on the Scubaboard forum that the steel medical cylinders were often used by commercial divers as "bailout bottles" because they were cheap and commonly available used, both seems to be true today.

From my google searches it seems that most of the steel medical "E" cylinders have a capacity of about 25 cubic feet and 15 pounds empty. I've never seen a round-bottomed one nor one rated at 2100 psi but the Luxfer aviation bottle that I found (link in my earlier post) has both- so they may be something other than medical O2 bottles...but I'm guessing that they have similar weight/buoyancy characteristics.

Cheers and good diving, Tim

captain
Plank Owner

Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:12 am

As many E cylinder as you want $9.99. I have one, they have 1/2" taper pipe thread necks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Medical-Oxygen- ... 20c71161fe
Captain

9fingers
Diver

Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:56 pm

Thanks Captain- I saw those too. Pretty cheap way to get some of these tanks...MAY or MAY NOT need (to be) hydrotested. And $15 to ship the lot.

Even if they were out of hydro they would be a good deal. And not too spendy of they don't work out. I have six heading my way.

Tim

captain
Plank Owner

Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:54 pm

Story on how I got the E cylinder. The wife and I were on the motorcycle when something caught my eye in the grass on the shoulder. It was the E cylinder full of nitrous oxide. Apparently it had fallen off of a delivery truck. My wife held it on her lap for the rest of the ride.
Captain

DiverTim
Master Diver

Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:12 pm

It has been awhile since I've seen the steel O2 tanks in the hospital but have wondered if they would make a good triple set? Even with the modern O2 alum tanks, would they be good for triples? Tim
Pico Blvd DW Mistral
Double 38's
Double 72's
NAVED member 191

9fingers
Diver

Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:04 am

Tim, the aluminum and steel O2 cylinders could easily be used as doubles or triples. The necks are 1/2", so older valves would be necessary. I've been told that the longer "E" cylinders at 4.3" diameter x 25.5" (without valve) trim out better than the shorter cylinders- like the "D" at 4.3" x 16.5", but with some trim weight added they may be fine. The D's are the most common cylinder used by the paramedic and firefighters out here. There are also "Jumbo D" cylinders which are 5.3" x 16.5" which may work...

I'm using steel mostly because I found them for $10 ea. Not sure how these will work out but at this price I thought it would be cool to try.

Good luck and keep me posted if you try this.

captain
Plank Owner

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:33 am

All the new aluminum O2 tanks use a 3/4-16 UNF thread so no scuba valve will work.

http://www.luxfercylinders.com/products ... -cylinders
Captain

eskimo3883
Master Diver

Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:40 pm

Hi Captain,

The tank of nitrous oxide reminds me of a party I went to many years ago.
“A skin diver is a fellow who pulls on a pair of fancy swimming trunks, some rubber fins, a diving mask and canvas gloves, then fills his lungs with air and noses down into the ocean looking for two fisted trouble.”

Return to “Tanks and Valves”