Herman
VDH Moderator

1/2 straight Sportways valve question

Sun May 27, 2012 9:09 am

I have an old Sportways tank and valve I am putting back into service. This is a little bit of an odd one. The tank valve is 1/2 straight thread with an oring, first one of those I have seen. Does anyone know what the proper Oring for the valve is? And does anyone have a few orings they would like to sell/trade? If you are in need of some and no-one else has them, I will put a pack in my next McMaster order....I just hate to buy 100 of them (or pay $3 each for singles).
Herman

gj1963
Master Diver
First Name: Geoff

Re: 1/2 straight Sportways valve question

Sun May 27, 2012 9:41 am

-114 is what the one on the 1/2 sportsways straight thread o-ring valve I have measures out to. It is old though. Hope that helps.
-Geoff

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sun May 27, 2012 10:43 am

Thanks, I will give those a shot....only have 70 durometer ones, guess the next step is to order some 90s.
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun May 27, 2012 5:06 pm

Herman....Trident has an O-ring guide that you can download a PDF of in their on line catalog....See if that helps? If one of those sizes works let me know and I'll see if I have some.. I can bring them to PCB or mail them to you. I have Genesis Vitons that are for 1/2" I think....Geoffs idea would work as well I think.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

kgehring
Master Diver

Sun May 27, 2012 10:02 pm

114 in a 90 dur. works.
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

Herman
VDH Moderator

Mon May 28, 2012 6:35 am

Thanks all. Looks like I need some 114's in 90 durometer to get this old tank back in action.
Herman

captain
Plank Owner

Mon May 28, 2012 11:51 am

Never bothered with the hardness and never had one blow out. Mostly hardware store whatever it was.
Captain

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Mon May 28, 2012 1:36 pm

Just make sure the valve is in tight. My experience with Sportsways is the the 114 from out of the dive shops drawers work fine. I have at least 4 of the Sportways and love them. Rebuilds are easy. Get the schematic from Roberts' book.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

crimediver
Master Diver

Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:15 pm

I just saw this thread and it reminded me of a project I have on the back shelf that I had almost forgot about.

I bought a Sportsways twin manifold and figured to use it with some steel PST SCBA tanks I got for free from a local fire department. Should make a nice small set of doubles. As far as I can tell the valves appear to fit the SCBA cylinders and I believe the threads are the same but I have not checked to see what the threads are. I was wondering if anybody knows what the threads are for the Sportsways or if anyone has any experience using the SCBA tanks with Sportsways valves?

The SCBA bottles are rated for 2216 psi and should make a sweet set of doubles. They also appear to be approximately 6.9 in in diameter but I did not measure them carefully but held a ruler alongside and eyeballed them. I need to get my carpenter squares out to do it right but I suspect some 6.9 bands would work on them.

Steel SCBA bottles are easily obtained as they were replaced by aluminum tanks in the 80's and then later carbon fiber wrapped tanks replaced the aluminum. The harder part is finding Sportsways manifolds as they are not that plentiful. I bought a set from a LDS that had them in a display of old gear for 30 bucks and then got the tanks for free.

I want to make sure the threads are exactly the same before I pressurize it but they screw in without any issues and seem to be the same but I don't have anything to mike them out with at this time.

Has anyone tried these valves in anything other than a Sportsways tank?

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:41 pm

White Stag used a similar tank as did New England Divers.

crimediver
Master Diver

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:46 pm

Ivan, were they SCBA tanks with a straight 1/2" valve?

Return to “Tanks and Valves”