Vintagediver
Master Diver

Re: Air Is Hard To Turn On & Off

Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:27 pm

Two more votes for the use of the digital camera; yeah that's a good way to avoid the confusion and mistakes on re-assembly. Thanks for your input Herman & Jim. I also appreciate your input as well Captain in regards to the older valves regarding no O-rings and the use of teflon washers; as well as the cleaning. I also saw your presentation Gilldiver with the photos regarding the The USD J-valve, and it's very helpful. You can bet I'll be putting this info to use when I begin this project. This presentation is very much appreciated! :) 8) Thanks guy's! Terry
The friendship of many has been inspired and created while together we've explored beneath the waves the wonders of God's creation.

NAVED Member #137
Member of The 2016, 2017 Sea Hunt Forever Dive Team

EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:11 pm

I've got one of these in the works right now. Although there are no markings to indicate a year, it does have plastic knobs so I assume it is a later one. The tank that it is on has a manufacture date of 1980. Looking at the diagram ,the rebuild procedure that is in the download section and the store, I cant identify correct washers and O-rings that will need to be replaced. I was hoping to have new parts together before taking it apart.

captain
Plank Owner

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:14 am

Captain

EHowe
Master Diver

Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:56 pm

Thanks captain, I didn't have that manual. I wish there was a service kit in the store that would include washers and o rings that are needed on a standard overhaul. As it is now in the valve section of the store you can choose nylon washers that fit "most" valves. And out of the 5 o rings that are recommended for replacement I only see 2. I guess I'll just order the parts I'm sure about and probably pick up the o rings locally

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:17 pm

EHowe wrote:Thanks captain, I didn't have that manual. I wish there was a service kit in the store that would include washers and o rings that are needed on a standard overhaul. As it is now in the valve section of the store you can choose nylon washers that fit "most" valves. And out of the 5 o rings that are recommended for replacement I only see 2. I guess I'll just order the parts I'm sure about and probably pick up the o rings locally
The last three digits of Aqualung oring part numbers are almost always the three numbers used for standard oring numbers everywhere. Kind of makes it easier to buy them locally.
The older I get the better I was.

time2dive
Vintage Diver

Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:14 pm

Just a word of warning. Some of the Aqualung Bonnet Nuts are reversed threaded, so when you think that you are loosening the nut you are actually tightening the nut. I believe that those nut are marked with grooves on the side of the nut.

Tim
Cranky old man, diver, photographer, scarer of children
http://www.kona-hydrostatic-testing.com/

captain
Plank Owner

Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:28 am

Left hand thread bonnet nut, notice the notches on the corners of the flats.
Captain

EHowe
Master Diver

Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:39 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I got my package from Bryan yesterday. I actually ordered a couple extra parts that don't fit my valve, but they were only a couple of bucks & I may find a use for them eventually. Seems to open and close nice and smooth now. Ill bring it to work with me tomorrow to refill and see if I have any leaks.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”