Danny D
Lung Diver

Tank Tumbling...

Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:01 pm

Does anyone on here know of an individual or shop that tumbles tanks located in MA, CT, RI area? Do not have time to build my own. Any help would be appreciated.

Dan

Gilldiver
Master Diver

Re: Tank Tumbling...

Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:55 pm

In CT try Divers cove in Essex, New England Diving in Wallingford, or Scuba Shack in Rockyhill.

Ed, at Divers Cove has been around since Christ was a kid and knows all about old tanks. One of these days he tells me he will dig out his "old" stuff to show me.
Double Hose Regulators, It not just a Hobby, it’s a Disease

Gilldiver
Master Diver

Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:12 pm

Next question is why do you think they need to be tumbled? In my opnion 99% of all tumbleing done by divers in the past 10 years is unnecessary and any rust could have been cleaned up with a whip in 5 to 10 minutes or less.
Double Hose Regulators, It not just a Hobby, it’s a Disease

Healthways

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:06 pm

Very true, cost of whip = about three tumbles. A good investment, share with
a friend....

mistral
Skin Diver
First Name: Russ

Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:39 am

tumbling, IMO, is superior than the whip. 42 yrs working in this business, I find the tumble to be more beneficial.... use the right media, the right amount, in relation to the size of the tank, and you will have every bit of the interior covered.. especially the bottom, and the curve near the cylinder neck.... again this my opinion, and my 42 yrs working in the retail scuba business

Danny D
Lung Diver

Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:12 pm

I am a psi inspector have a whip tried the whip...Left some tanks at the hydro facility for a little too long only to discover that some nincompoop allowed a fair amount of water into them. Of coarse they were stored in a cool dark place.

Assembling a set vintage double for a friend that belonged to his father and I want to assure their longevity against all that I can protect them from.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”