usddude
Master Diver

Re: Name The Twins

Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:55 pm

Douchebag wrote:
simonbeans wrote: Again, are you striving for authenticity of vintage or ecelectic?
I don't know if I agree with that. Just because the tanks aren't labelled means he's eclectic? That's another existential question...just because things aren't labelled means he's not a vintage diver? If he has all the same STYLE gear, uses the same methods and techniques is he not a vintage diver? Or does the addition of stickers make it official?

I'm not sure how things operated back then, being a youngin and all, but if somebody were to go to a LDS back then and rent some tanks I doubt they would have all the necessary badging that would qualify him as vintage (back then though it wouldn't be vintage it'd be modern). Fast forward 40 years and the same guy using the same equipment (no stickers at all) decides to refinish his tanks like done here...is he now automatically out of the vintage club?

JES wrote:Excellent point! It's important to know what you're striving to attain. 8)
I agree...what's the goal? To have a rig that can be displayed as an example of what the factory put out that is diveable? Or to just have a cool looking rig that he can enjoy for years to come? Whichever way he chooses I don't think precludes him from being "Vintage".

Anyways, rant over.

PS-I still think they look balls cool just as they are!!!
I am very appreciative of the wisdom and insight on my twin tank dilemma dealeo. Every post from each member is extremely helpful advice. Douchebag has said something here that I have not been able to express in my own words..I have tried at times in frustration. Phrases that Douchebag said like"is he automatically out of the vintage club"..or "he can enjoy for years to come"..or "I don't think precludes him from being "Vintage" and even "fast forward forty years". I think that what Douchebag is touching on here is the SPIRIT of vintage diving. Its that spirit that has drawn us all here. In that spirit my twins, for Douchebag, will stay just as they are....I am damn serious about this

usd

INFIDELxx
Master Diver

Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:12 pm

DUDE,
The more I look at them the more I like them plain. You did a great job! :D I feel your pain about the endless options. I so want to put together some certain period correct rig's but only working with bit's and pieces can drive one mad. So, Do what makes you happy... :D
D.I.R.....With Voit !

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:28 pm

Hello Kitty has my vote.

kgehring
Master Diver

Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:17 pm

I have enough US Diver decals to wrap both completely. Now that would be cool! lol
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

WD8CDH

Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:28 pm

For what it's worth, we were diving tanks with no labels often back in the 60's and 70's so no labels doesn't make it non-vintage. With or without labels is fine. They are great looking tanks either way. :D

Gilldiver
Master Diver

Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:24 pm

I just wish I could take one of my regs for a drive today. But my butt is stuck in Poland right now and when I get back I have the house getting sided. I'll be lucky to look at diveable water by mid December.

And flying over the Baltic, North Sea, and Atlantic does not count, even if I can see it out of the window.
Double Hose Regulators, It not just a Hobby, it’s a Disease

Return to “Tanks and Valves”