Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Re: Getting into vintage doubles?

Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:46 am

Those sold bar manifolds are awesome, that's what most of the divers in Greece had. Does the diameter of the tank matter with that type of manifold? I know it is still 3/4" thread, but will it be difficult to fins bands to make a vintage doubles harness?
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:38 am

The manifold is made by USD and designed to be used with tanks of 6.9" diameter. I believe you can use them on 71.2, 38, 42, 50 steels. Older 72 Al and modern Al 50 and 45s. The bands are from Peanut King and much better than the originals in MHO. Using a set of doubles with a harness is one of the most comfortable diving configurations available.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Ron
Site Admin

Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:46 am

So if I get a set of 6.9" diameter tanks, then you can make me a harness once I have the bands from the peanut king?

captain
Plank Owner

Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:48 am

slonda828 wrote:Those sold bar manifolds are awesome, that's what most of the divers in Greece had. Does the diameter of the tank matter with that type of manifold? I know it is still 3/4" thread, but will it be difficult to fins bands to make a vintage doubles harness?

Spacing between dip tube centers should be about 8-1/8". The USD solid bar manifold is the strongest and least likely to leak but is more a late 70's and 80's era item and less vintage than the older three piece manifold. The solid manifold is still being made for the military but is pricey. Better to find one on ebay. Sometimes the old three piece manifolds turn up in excellent to unused condtion on ebay. You can use them on most all of the 6.9" to 7.3" diameter cylinders. I have one on my 7.6" Navy non mag tanks but Ihad to make bands to do it.

There are several here
http://sporting-goods.shop.ebay.com/ite ... acat=16052
Captain

captain
Plank Owner

Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:58 am

If you don't want to hassel with the stupid LDS over old tanks you might want to consider this tank. It is almost the exact size and weight and buoyancy of a steel 72 and is a true 72 cu/ft at 3000 psi.

https://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalo ... -2487.html
Captain

simonbeans
VDH Moderator

Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:59 am

slonda828 wrote:So if I get a set of 6.9" diameter tanks, then you can make me a harness once I have the bands from the peanut king?
No problem. All of my doubles and most of the vintage guys use PK bands and AK harnesses.

ElanS2
Diver

Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:03 pm

Folks,

I have a twin set of twin 50s that I join with a Dacor yoke. I would like to join them with a twin manifold. Are there manifolds currently being produced or do I have to resort to Ebay and take my chances?

John S

simonbeans
VDH Moderator

Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:15 pm

I posted this listing a while ago. I am not sure if they are still available. PM me and I can give you the contact info.

http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/forum3 ... f=5&t=3628

captain
Plank Owner

Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:18 pm

ElanS2 wrote:Folks,

I have a twin set of twin 50s that I join with a Dacor yoke. I would like to join them with a twin manifold. Are there manifolds currently being produced or do I have to resort to Ebay and take my chances?

John S
Unless you are willing to pay $300+ for a modern double outlet manifold or more for a new UDS solid bar mainfold ebay is your best bet.

Rebuild kits are available for the USD solid bar manifold.

http://www.aqualung.com/military/PDF_Da ... _07-07.pdf
Captain

NAFOD
Lung Diver

Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:43 pm

Yo Slondog!

Looka here, I will be in Beaufort around July 25 or 26, depending on weather and stuff (sailing back from Abaco Island. If you want, I can meet you there with a set of solid bar steel 72s and you can take 'em and test drive 'em if you want. Lemme know!
That's a very nice dress you're wearing, Mrs. Cleaver . . .

Ron
Site Admin

Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:12 pm

NAFOD,

That would rock man, is there anywhere near there to dive them?

NAFOD
Lung Diver

Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:02 am

Sure, if you get along well with hammerhead sharks . . .

I wouldn't recommend diving in the Beaufort area, but you could take them home and try them, or we might be able to get some pool time at Parris Island.
That's a very nice dress you're wearing, Mrs. Cleaver . . .

WD8CDH

Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:42 am

Another choice would be (my favorite) ---- skinny doubles. The skinnier tanks were used in both doubles and triples in the vintage era. I don't know the actual diameter but they were less than the 6.9" of the 72s, 44s and 38s. Hopefully one of the members with a set can post the actual measurements. In steel, for the most vintage look with modern tanks, would be double LP45 tanks like the OMS tanks. Double 30cf or 40cf aluminum tanks also dive very nice but the flat bottom is less vintage looking. My most used rigs are double and triple aluminum 40s but I have several other sets of skinny doubles and triples. Personally, I find for example, double aluminum 40s make an easier to dive package than the similar capacity single aluminum 80.

Rapid

Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:40 am

Double hose regulators and Double tanks are double trouble and are a match made in diving heaven.

Here is a picture of my "Super Twins".

This set up is super compact, weighs less than 30 lbs and has extremely good balance and buoyancy characteristics.

Ron
Site Admin

Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:01 am

That's a really nice setup, did you rhino line your backplate? What size tanks are those?

Return to “Tanks and Valves”