couv
Master Diver

Re: Chinese Compressors?

Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:17 pm

A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:09 pm

couv wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:17 pm
? Opinions on this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SCUBA-Compress ... 0005.m1851
Those go for $400 - $500 in the states. Even with the freight from Australia it sounds good.
The older I get the better I was.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:29 pm

Three-Stage Radiator Cooled...??
- I was just checking back to see what the Chinese compressors are up to. For about $900 you can now get one with three stages, fill rate 2-3 cfm, and top pressure of 4500 psi. Remember the earlier ones used hoses into a bucket of water for cooling? This one has two liquid filled radiators, each with double fans and an automatic shut-off if it gets too hot. 2.5 HP motor and overall weight of 92 lbs approaches size of non-chinese portables.
- I'm assuming one of the cylinders is duplex... One on top of the other.
- And they're actively pitching them for filling Scuba tanks.
- Here's the link for info: https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Pressure- ... SwTwtcdOl~

SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

SurfLung
Master Diver

Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:02 am

-They keep making these better... Maybe at some point they'll be good enough for filling Scuba tanks. The one above has 3 stages... A single cylinder and a duplex cylinder... Which adds up the 3 pistons.
- They're liquid cooled and this one actually has little radiators and fans. Others use a bucket of water and little electric pump.
- But they don't have the air tubing between stages configured in cooling coils. Man, I can see this rig with coils and a fan.
Here's an interesting video:
SurfLung

Turtleguy9
Skin Diver

Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:06 pm

So has anyone built a lash up system yet? As I no longer work in any dive shop, I really do not want to hear, the we wont fill tanks with those antique valves. The price looks so good.
Turtleguy9

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:10 am

SurfLung wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:02 am
-They keep making these better... Maybe at some point they'll be good enough for filling Scuba tanks. The one above has 3 stages... A single cylinder and a duplex cylinder... Which adds up the 3 pistons.
- They're liquid cooled and this one actually has little radiators and fans. Others use a bucket of water and little electric pump.
- But they don't have the air tubing between stages configured in cooling coils. Man, I can see this rig with coils and a fan.
Here's an interesting video:

Looks like it would prety easy to get some stainless tubing from some place like North Shore Compressor and make some loops between the stages that you could run submerged in a pan of ice water. That what I was thinking of doing on an old military airplane compressor before the third stage blew off the block.

SurfLung
Master Diver

Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:35 am

antique diver wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:40 pm
I have never seen one of those. Is it true that they pack the filters with rice?
- That might not be such a tongue in cheek idea after-all. I have seen where it is advised to pack your cell phone in rice if you accidently drop it in the lake. Rice is supposed to absorb the moisture. I've seen it used to keep a salt shaker from clumping up in a moist environment. So,...

- Regarding advancements on the Chinese compressors... It looks like the better they make them, the closer the cost comes to buying a new or used REAL scuba compressor. MaxAir was running a sale this summer on the MaxAir 35 in gas or electric for only $2900... With PMV, filters, moisture accumulators... everything.
SurfLung

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:46 am

SurfLung wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:35 am
antique diver wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:40 pm
I have never seen one of those. Is it true that they pack the filters with rice?
- That might not be such a tongue in cheek idea after-all. I have seen where it is advised to pack your cell phone in rice if you accidently drop it in the lake. Rice is supposed to absorb the moisture. I've seen it used to keep a salt shaker from clumping up in a moist environment. So,...
The salt shaker thing is pretty common around here, and is where i got the thought. BTW, a few years ago my Dad dropped his cell phone in the water and I packed it in molecular sieve for about 24 hours. Came out working fine! Don't ask where the water was.
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “Compressor Talk”