timbo
Lung Diver
First Name: tim

Re: bauer compressor

Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:56 pm

The strip down continuous. I am almost there.
For the rest everything looks quite fine. There is a litle spot of rust in the third stage.
Probably some moist in it while standing still for a long period. Dont think its to bad and can
probably be cleaned out with a light pass of a hone. The inlet valve of the third stage has a litle carbon and
some dirt but for the rest everything looks clean.

third stage piston. Looks pretty good.

Third stage head

third stage cylinder

second stage head

second stage cilinder

second stage piston

second stage piston

timbo
Lung Diver

Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:14 pm

Just done some more disassembly. It is pretty much in pieces now.
Just the valves are stil in the heads. I wil take them to my friend who has the special bauer
tool to remove them. Did not find anny more major problems except for the rockershaft who drives
the oil pump. There is some wear on the rocker but I don't think its to bad. there is however some excessieve play
between the end of the shaft and the bushing in the housing. The front of this shaft runs in a roller bearing but the back is
just a plain bush in the alluminium housing. I think I will machine a brass bush on the lathe to eliminate this wear.
Should I make use of the opportunity to change the needle bearings? When the compressor was still in one piece I could feel a little
play when I turned the flywheel back and forward. I dont know if this comes from the bearings but its in pieces now and I have access to them.
I cant seem to feel anny play on them now tough. The bearings are marked with a maker (INA) These are still in bussines today,so perhaps I can find them somewhere.

the front bearing of the oilpump drive shaft. There is rust!!

The red paint of the inside of the crankcases is cumming of. That cant be good. Maybe they switched from
miniral oil to synthetic and this oil ate the paint. I dont know. Here you can seen the plain bush for the rocker shaft in the housing.

things that wil need to be replaced. I am not sure about the needle bearings.

timbo
Lung Diver

Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:05 pm

First repair done!!! New ball bearing for front of oil pump drive shaft and a home made
brass bush for the back. It came out just fine.

after drilling the hole on the drillpress I made a pilot on the lathe and reamed the hole to 22mm.

The hole after reaming

I machined the end of the shaft on the lathe until it was perfectly round again. To 18mm

Machining the bush on the lathe

end result

regards

Tim

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:28 pm

Wow. You'd done some beautiful work there. That compressor is going to be something special you can be proud to see it running again.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

timbo
Lung Diver

Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:20 pm

It has finally come to work again on the bauer. The cylinders have been sandblasted and painted. They still have to be baked. Most parts of the crankcase have also been sandblasted and ready to spray. I am blown away by how rough some parts are cast. the oil pump is actually a modified diesel injection pump. The fuel rack is fixed by point strokes at a certain flow rate. I prefer not to touch this and that's why I just let it soak in gas oil. There was a bit of rust on the ball of the oil pressure regulator. I've pollished it a bit with very fine sandpaper and hope it will be ok this way

timbo
Lung Diver

Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:33 pm

Hello,

The project is on hold again fo the moment. When I started replacing the bearings on the crankshaft I noticed
The crank is bent. It is in the machine shop to have it trued but the machinist was not sure if he could do it. I am hoping he wil get it done but
just in case he doesn't. Does someone have a K14 that is for parts only to salvage a used crank?

regards

Tim

timbo
Lung Diver

Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:09 pm

Finally the assembly has begun. I found a used crank so I started the first assembly work.
The oil carter and oil pump drive. Everything looks good. Let's hope there wil be no more setbacks.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:24 pm

Tim, I know this has been a long and challenging project, and glad to see it is still progressing. Most people would have given up two years ago when the piston and cylinder sleeve assembly was so hard to find, or last month when the original crankshaft was found to be bent. Amazing that you found another one for that old model K14. Glad you are still making progress on it. :D
The older I get the better I was.

timbo
Lung Diver

Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:49 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words Bill. It ha been a challange but I am a stubborn person :D :D .
The crank I found is not exactly the same but normaly I can modify it on the lathe.
I posted the pistons and piston rings today to a piston ring factory. They wil make new piston rings for me.
Good quality and a lot cheaper than the bauer ones. I hope to get it running spring next year.

TeamDoug2015
Vintage Diver
First Name: Doug

Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:32 am

Bravo! - Your patience and endurance are an inspiration as I begin my much simpler PE 250 TE rebuild. Thanks for sharing. I'm eager for my tools to arrive so I can move onto the next step.

timbo
Lung Diver

Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:20 pm

Where to start, work on the compressor has continued with a few interruptions and there have been quite a few issues that needed to be resolved or still to be resolved.
The crankshaft was the first problem. I had first bought one of a later model K14, it looked the same but something was wrong somewhere. Then I found out that the stroke was different. Apparently the very old K14's have a 40mm stroke and the later more standardized K14's have a 50mm stroke. Fortunately, the seller kindly took the crankshaft back. Then I found a right crankshaft on ebay in the US. The seller did not want to ship to Europe, which is a problem. Fortunately, Bill wanted to help me forward the crankshaft to me. So this problem is solved thanks to bill. Then the connecting rod bearings. I had ordered these a long time ago and the time came to assemble them. First grind the old inner rings of the crankshaft, so far so good. Then I wanted to install the new one, but they didn't fit. The needle rings and outer rings were correct, but the inner ring was not correct. These had an inner diameter of 29mm and the original ones were 25mm. All manufacturers searched but the rings are nowhere available.
Apparently Bauer used the outer rings and needle rings from a bearing manufacturer, but made the inner rings themselfs. The seller of the bearings had an adapter sleeve and was convinced that this would work. I adjusted everything and mounted it on the crankshaft. Not a success, the bearings no longer fit the inner rings. I think by using the reducer bush. Then I got a tip that the inner rings were for sale with lauwrence factor. Indeed, they had them in a kit and were even kind enough to split the kit up for the inner rings only, but with the cost of shipping and customs charges, these got quite pricey. I then looked a little further and finally found rings of 25x32x22, the original ones were 25x32x13. So the new ones are too wide. The solution is to grind it to the correct width. I have contacted a few machine shops but they would not or could not do it. Now I suddenly thought that I still have an old valve grinder that I have never used. Now I am working on adjusting this machine so that I can grind the bearings to the right size myself. Normally should work. I think I have listed everything now. It hasn't been easy yet, but I do think I'll get there eventually. Below a few photos

https://ibb.co/LCHcdv6
https://ibb.co/XpTvSK9
https://ibb.co/vZ98qNL
https://ibb.co/nrV6c7P
https://ibb.co/4PmbYNN
https://ibb.co/swfXRWy
https://ibb.co/VSYdqhk
https://ibb.co/LQv87hc

timbo
Lung Diver

Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:22 pm

something went wrong with the pictures. Don't know what.

timbo
Lung Diver

Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:43 pm

Did some more work to the K14 this evening. I ground the conrod bearings to size.
I converted my Black&Decker valve seat grinder to do this job. I asked arround at the local
workshops and no one was willing to do this so I had to do it myself.
I Hope things wil come together now.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:03 pm

Very nice that you have the skills and tools to do all the machining that K14 has required. Keep up the good work! :D
The older I get the better I was.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:47 pm

Wow!
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Return to “Compressor Talk”