MikeAlan
Lung Diver
First Name: Mike

Vintage USD combination filler & gauge question

Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:30 am

I have looked for a long time, but cannot find information on this.
20210723_211639-2.jpg
The left side valve, which opens to the pressure gauge, is there supposed to be an O-ring in there?
I can't seem to understand how to take it apart, after I remove it from the filler fitting, it looks like the 2 pieces should unscrew from each other but they won't, as far as I can see.
I appreciate any information, thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

captain
Plank Owner

Re: Vintage USD combination filler & gauge question

Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:37 am

I had a similar filler. It should come apart by unscrewing the packing nut under the knob and then continue to unscrew the knob. You may need to unscrew both at the same time until it comes apart. I suspect it uses a packing not an O ring. I quit using it because the small knob on the shut off valve tended to leak and was hard to operate under pressure. I think I still have it laying around somewhere.
Captain

MikeAlan
Lung Diver

Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:17 am

Thanks, Captain.
It is good to hear your voice again.
I will take that valve out again, and see if I can do that.
I can see what looks like a machine washer in between the handle part and the part the handle screws into. And it seems like that is what is keeping the 2 parts from unscrewing from each other. It doesn't look as if there is a way to unscrew the parts by any means I am familiar with.
It's different than any j-valve, or any of the regulators that I was able to disassemble and rebuild previously with the help of the resources on this forum... 100% success rate, thanks to you and folks like you.
I'm probably overlooking what you describe, because I seem to be missing details elsewhere in life, too.
Tell my kids not to put me away, yet. :wink:

Thanks again!

captain
Plank Owner

Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:59 am

I suspect the valve stem screws into the main body. The packing nut is just for sealing the valve stem and the packing will hold the stem in the nut. Keep unscrewing the valve and nut at the same time. If it was put together it can be taken apart.
Captain

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:17 pm

Those are some very good "Words of Wisdom" by Tom: "If it was put together it can be taken apart" :D
The friendship of many has been inspired and created while together we've explored beneath the waves the wonders of God's creation.

NAVED Member #137
Member of The 2016, 2017 Sea Hunt Forever Dive Team

MikeAlan
Lung Diver

Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:28 pm

Yes sir, and I know it is true.
I just haven't figured it out yet, and didn't want to take a chance of breaking it.
I knew if I asked around here, the answer would come. I haven't got back to it, but I appreciate the help for sure, and I will be sure to update this soon.
Thanks. :idea:

MikeAlan
Lung Diver

Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:03 pm

First pic is the valve removed from the main assembly. The end of the threaded shaft is attached through the handle, like a press fit or something, and you can see that in 3rd pic, of the back of handle. The 2nd pic shows threads ending, and not threaded to fitting.
20210724_115627-1-1.jpg
The handle (on right) and the fitting (on left) are not threaded together. The fitting can't be unscrewed or slipped off because the threads are wider than the fitting.
I can turn them, in an effort to unscrew them from each other, but they won't separate by turning them.
20210724_115210-1-1.jpg
Sorry if I am missing something, but I still don't get it.
Thanks again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

captain
Plank Owner

Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:22 am

Inside the packing nut you can see the black packing material, that is what is keeping the stem from coming out. I don't know what they used as packing material but with new packing as the bonnet nut is screwed on it compresses the packing around the smooth part of the stem forming the seal.
If it starts leaking you tighten the nut to compress the packing more. Over time the old packing is compressed and hardened around the stem and won't let the stem screw out, the packing doesn't have threads. Unless it leaks in use there is no point it trying to get it apart to repack, not sure what you would use to repack it with. From the original picture it looks like the packing has been compressed as far as the nut will allow.
If you are intent on getting it apart you have two options. Try to pick the old packing out piece by piece or hold the nut in a vise and put pressure on the end of the stem while trying to screw it out, basically forcing threads to be formed in the packing.
That design is why I quit using it. The tighter you screwed down on the packing nut to stop leaking around the shaft the harder it became to operate the valve. Plus the valve has a metal to metal seat and never would shut off leak tight.
I looked around for mine but haven't found it yet, possible I threw away but I usually don't throw away things like that.
Nice vintage piece but no longer practical for use.
Captain

MikeAlan
Lung Diver

Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:11 pm

Thank you, your experience and helpfulness is much appreciated.
It has been leaking a little, so I was hoping to fix that :cry:
because the old Alize compressor needs as few leaks as possible with its low cfm.
When I tighten the nut to stop the air leak, the handle gets too tight to turn by hand, confirming your diagnosis of the packing being compressed and all. I'll look at getting another of these in better condition, or even going with a newer version that can be serviced.
I am grateful for your help. :)

captain
Plank Owner

Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:40 pm

I suspect any one you may find will be of similar age, problems and condition. This is your best option. It has a place to install your gauge.

https://www.nuvair.com/products/parts-a ... cv120.html
Captain

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:52 pm

In similar valve stem sealing problems I have sometimes been successful with wrapping Teflon packing cord around the stem. It's what it is made for and should be available at good hardware stores. If you can't get the old packing out without scratching up the stem and other sealing surfaces, you may be able to just leave it in place and still wrap as much a possible on the stem, pushing far enough into the nut to allow threading to start. As you tighten the nut the new cord will readily shape into the space and MAY solve the sealing problem without tightening to the point of making valve hard to turn. I suggest trying this approach first instead of digging out the old seal and maybe damaging sealing surfaces.

BTW, I use silicone grease on the stems, and it seems to help reduce the turning torque in most cases. It will not adversely affect the sealing.
As mentioned, the metal to metal valve seating surfaces seldom survive years of use, but it can't hurt to try.

Good Luck. That's a neat little compact fill yoke!
The older I get the better I was.

MikeAlan
Lung Diver

Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:30 pm

Thank you guys for two excellent ideas. Both are well worth doing.

Return to “Compressor Talk”