BigRed96
Diver
First Name: Timmy

Cornelius Compressor Conversion

Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:34 pm

Good day all, I picked a Cornelius Compressor up off ebay after reading about converting them to scuba compressors. I was reading the file in the manuals and catalog section as well. I need some clarification on something. The file says that a Vi horsepower rated motor is needed. That doesn’t seem right to me. I’m assuming those are Roman numerals and if so it needs a 6 horsepower motor. Also, I was wondering if anyone did this conversion themselves and could steer me in the right direction as far as filtering goes?

hunterkz
Lung Diver
First Name: gary

Re: Cornelius Compressor Conversion

Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:46 pm

Can you post a picture of the compressor you bought and the model number? I have seen a few conversions where they belt drive the compressor. I have a Cornelius but it is 110v from the factory with direct drive.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:34 am

My RIX compressor uses a 3 hp electric motor but the spec for a gas engine is a 5.5 horse... This is for 2.5-3.0 cfm. So, horse power is different depending on whether you run gas or electric.

Revised 11:00 AM
- I read further and found reference to 2.5 hp if a gas engine is used.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

BigRed96
Diver
First Name: Timmy

Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:06 am

hunterkz wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:46 pm
Can you post a picture of the compressor you bought and the model number? I have seen a few conversions where they belt drive the compressor. I have a Cornelius but it is 110v from the factory with direct drive.
I will Try to get some pics.

Return to “Compressor Talk”