Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Voit Polaris 50

Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:25 pm

Just went down to the local dive shop to get an air fill. Got talking with the manager on duty. I've seen the guy around but we don't know each other. Anyway, I'm talking vintage valves with the guy and mentioning how I can rebuild them. He says, well, I don't know much about vintage valves, but I do have an old regulator gathering dust in the back that someone had sitting around their garage for years and gave to us. Then the magic words, "If you want it, it's yours, free." Sure, says I, I'll take that old piece of dangerous worthless junk off your hands. Anyway, here it is. Mark.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Voit Polaris 50

Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:09 pm

Wow!!!!

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:18 pm

Well I took apart my Polaris. First time looking inside one. Don't believe I need to be a rocket scientist to overhaul this puppy. Does not appear to have many (or any?) areas for adjustments.

Looks like I will need a new body washer, the tiny o-ring that goes around the pin, filter, circlip, and maybe a new spring and seat assembly.

Here is where my ignorance comes in. I see in the VDH store all these parts but not listed expressly for a Voit Polaris. My assumption is that things didn't change much from the earlier models. I have been wrong before. Bryan, I guess this is directed to you. Will those parts you have for sale fit this reg? Thanks. Mark.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:39 pm

[quote="ScubaLawyer" Bryan, I guess this is directed to you. Will those parts you have for sale fit this reg? Thanks. Mark.[/quote]

Single stage service kit works on Polaris.....I just added it to the list of regulators it works on in the catalog.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:44 pm

Great! And thank you for your prompt response.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:24 pm

One more question for the group...

Can I run the Voit metal label through an ultrasonic cleaner or will it take the color off?

Mark

USdiver
Master Diver

Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:35 pm

I wouldn't run it through the ultrasonic, the paint can and probably will come off. I would try to scrub the exhaust can with a toothbrush and some metal polish rather than ultrasonic. Some Salt-X diluted in H2O can help if you have verde-gris or mineral deposits. You'll like the Polaris, it's a Mistral inside, but pure Mike Nelson outside. Great find at an even better price.
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

crimediver
Master Diver

Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:02 pm

That was a good score. It comes form living right and once in a while a dive shop owner will hook you up if you look pitiful enough. It has worked for me.

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:45 pm

The toughest part about servicing a Polaris 50 is the limited amount of adjustment available to set the height of the levers. While the USD version has a wide range of adjustment due to the adjustment wheel, the Voit has to be adjusted by lateral movement of the lever plate. The length of the pin, and the depth of the depression in the HP seat is critical.

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:16 am

Greg Barlow wrote:The toughest part about servicing a Polaris 50 is the limited amount of adjustment available to set the height of the levers. While the USD version has a wide range of adjustment due to the adjustment wheel, the Voit has to be adjusted by lateral movement of the lever plate. The length of the pin, and the depth of the depression in the HP seat is critical.

Greg
Hi Greg, thanks so much for your response. I'm a little confused. Pardon my ignorance. How is there "lateral adjustment" of the lever plate? Isn't the pin length and depth of the depression in the seat uniform? Are you talking about making sure the volcano orifice is seated securely? Sorry for the basic questions but after 49 years of diving double hose regulators I'm just now figuring out how they really work. Mark.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:58 am

After Greg (The Lung)Barlow catchers up on his Scubapro writeups perhaps he can do one on the unique Voit lever and plate setup :)

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:52 am

I see how there is slight lateral adjustment in the lever plate. When I opened up the cans the plate was positioned (slid) as far toward the inhalation horn as possible. Is that the correct position? I'll try and post a photo later. Mark

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:04 pm

Here is how the lever plate was fixed when I opened the cans. Looks to be slid full forward toward the inhalation horn. Looks like sliding it back would raise the lever height by having the pin further toward the attachment point on the bottom lever ? ? ? Mark.
V22a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:12 am

Looks that way to me too. Looks easier than the Mistral adjustment.
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:22 pm

Project completed - and it works!!!!!

All shiny now. I like shiny !
E1.jpg
A1.jpg
C1.jpg

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”