Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
OystrPir8
Skin Diver

Sea Hunter Spear Pistol

Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:00 pm

Hey guys. I am trying to locate a copy of the instruction manual for the US Divers Sea Hunter Spear Pistol? I just got one on ebay but would like to know more about how to care for, load and use it.
Thanks for any info you may have.

Oh! and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Be a gruntled diver.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Sea Hunter Spear Pistol

Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:15 pm

From the manuals and catalog section on the main page

US Divers Repair Manual Page 106

https://backup.filesanywhere.com/fs/v.a ... 6370beac6b

I have never seen an instruction manual but there could be one out there.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

OystrPir8
Skin Diver

Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:56 pm

Wow! Extensive!
That's INCREDIBLY helpful! Thanks, Brian!!
Be a gruntled diver.

OystrPir8
Skin Diver

Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:57 pm

A couple of questions I am trying to find answers for:

What is the correct CO2 cartridge (length, volume) for this gun and are they available? The cartridges I have are too long.

Is a new CO2 cartridge required for each firing?

What locks the spear in place when not in use? There is no hook or nipple on the tail end of the spear and it tends to slide out when the gun is held with the tip pointed downward.

Does the gun need to be lubricated and if so with what and at what points?

What is the correct way to coil/load the line in to the clips

Is it damaging to dry fire the gun or shoot it out of the water?
Be a gruntled diver.

OystrPir8
Skin Diver

Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:55 pm

I just found this photo on an expired ebay listing from Australia. Unfortunately, this is only the front. And I am not left handed.

Be a gruntled diver.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:46 pm

OystrPir8 wrote:A couple of questions I am trying to find answers for:

What is the correct CO2 cartridge (length, volume) for this gun and are they available? The cartridges I have are too long.

8 Gram unthreaded beverage cartridge

Is a new CO2 cartridge required for each firing?

Yes

What locks the spear in place when not in use? There is no hook or nipple on the tail end of the spear and it tends to slide out when the gun is held with the tip pointed downward.

O ring on the shaft

Does the gun need to be lubricated and if so with what and at what points?

I took the 3 I had/have completely apart. Cleaned the parts, replaced the O-rings and lubricated them lightly with silicone grease.

What is the correct way to coil/load the line in to the clips

Difficult to say. Original line holders broke easily and replacements were improvised.

I don't think it's a good idea but I'm not an expert. The gun is weak at the pin/fulcrum where it cocks the spring and 2 of 3 I have seen are cracked. They still worked but you had to be careful when you cocked the gun.
When you have the pistol and holster loaded with cartridges it looks really cool...Spear is short and heavy and the gun is too underpowered to be accurate.Getting a cartridge out of the holster when strapped to your leg is a real challenge.... Much better prop than a practical speargun We used these during the Sea Hunt celebrations at Silver Springs extensively. The crowd loved the bubbles and the knife/speargun fights. Rob/JES has a photo or two of this I think.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:07 pm

OystrPir8 wrote:A couple of questions I am trying to find answers for:

To you or the gun?

I would recommend not having a line attached to the spear if you try this... think about missing your target and the line streeetccchhhing, then returning the spear to you. :oops:
The older I get the better I was.

OystrPir8
Skin Diver

Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:24 pm

Again, Incredibly helpful! THANKS!!

To dismantel the gun and clean the inner firing mechanism (spring, anvil, firing pin, etc.) it looks like you would remove the spring pins (#17 or #18) at the front hinge joint. Is that correct? Is that easily done without damaging the pin? It looks like it is just a small copper or brass tube.

After doing the cleaning and lubricating work, how do you get the firing mechanism back into its place and put the spring back under tension? I am imagining some sort of split rod to straddle the pin and compress it all to the point that the pin could be reinserted.

I checked out those photos. They are very cool! The bubbles look awesome. Great action shot. I dig the black and white.
Be a gruntled diver.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:36 pm

Sorry but I don't remember the exact details of tearing it down other than it was pretty straightforward once I got going. The main lever I remember being delrin or some type of plastic and I have worked on 2 that were cracked in that area. Be sure to support the area around this lever where the pin goes through it when you push the pin out. Other than that it was pretty simple as best I remember.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”