Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Emilio Largo
Vintage Diver

New Vintage Style Beavertail Wetsuit Jacket

Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:01 pm

I recently found that O'Neill makes a slickskin wetsuit jacket called the O'rginal Beaver Tail. It looks almost vintage perfect except for the snaps. It is much closer to "period correct" that Spiros' jackets or Vintage Soul. You can get different colors on the side panels, but all black is available. Sizes run from Small to 3XL. Online prices are between $95 and $115. The only downside is it 2mm thick. I haven't decided to buy one becaues of the thickness (actually thinness). If so, I'll post a review.

Here's some links, but I have no connection to either place:
http://www.thaliasurf.com/oneillbeavertail.html
http://www.hansensurf.com/Oneill-Mens-W ... acket.html
“A diver wears a watch to tell what sport is his. The secondary function is to tell what time it is.” -Dick Anderson, Scubapro Catalog

sthtxdiver
Master Diver

Re: New Vintage Style Beavertail Wetsuit Jacket

Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:47 am

hi thanx for posting i was actually seeking something like that since i dive in south texas an ofcourse mobility ps any other manufacturers ps i saw a pic of rob wearing a nice wetsuit ??
Charlie

ivan's mermaid
Master Diver

Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:05 am

Rob and I got our slick skin wet suits, at http://www.diveskin.net
Mine is a 5 m and Rob's is 3m. We got both the beavertail, farmer john bottoms he also makes shorts, he'll pretty much make what ever you want.
His name is spiros, and he's in greece, tell him Rob and Barb from Ohio referred and that you want suits like theirs.
When we get back from Brownstone, we can send you some photos of our suits for reference, 'cause Rob is busy trying to dive his Essgee in the Quarry today. :)

Emilio Largo
Vintage Diver

Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:35 am

Spiros at Diveskin does very nice work. I have two 3mm Jackets, a Farmer John, shorts and hood from him. All made custom to my measurements, done quickly and at a good price. However, Spiros has never made the beavertail the same as on vintage US wetsuits. I am glad to find another option that is closer the the old stuff.
“A diver wears a watch to tell what sport is his. The secondary function is to tell what time it is.” -Dick Anderson, Scubapro Catalog

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:34 pm

Emilio Largo wrote:Spiros at Diveskin does very nice work. I have two 3mm Jackets, a Farmer John, shorts and hood from him. All made custom to my measurements, done quickly and at a good price. However, Spiros has never made the beavertail the same as on vintage US wetsuits. I am glad to find another option that is closer the the old stuff.
Agree, the quality is good but you can talk with Spiros till you're blue in the face, send him several images of what you want and you still won't get a vintage style beavertail. Additionally, my suits measurements were off in couple of places.
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:02 pm

JES wrote: Agree, the quality is good but you can talk with Spiros till you're blue in the face, send him several images of what you want and you still won't get a vintage style beavertail. Additionally, my suits measurements were off in couple of places.
I bet if your name was Barb and you provided a bra size he would pay more attention....I know I would!!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

JES
Plank Owner

Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:37 pm

Bryan wrote:
JES wrote: Agree, the quality is good but you can talk with Spiros till you're blue in the face, send him several images of what you want and you still won't get a vintage style beavertail. Additionally, my suits measurements were off in couple of places.
I bet if your name was Barb and you provided a bra size he would pay more attention....I know I would!!
Excellent point. The rest of us don't stand a chance.... :wink: 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108

ivan's mermaid
Master Diver

Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:32 am

Bryan wrote:
Oh that Bryan! :oops:

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:45 pm

Just pointing out the obvious.....
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

sthtxdiver
Master Diver

Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:50 pm

thanx for info all is good
Charlie

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:16 am

Isn't that a surfing wetsuit? I wonder what the neoprene composition is. The vintage soul suits are Rubatex (albeit only 2mm thick) so if you can man through some cold, they keep your weighting straight for no BC diving. They also have the old zig-zag stitching. Really, the only part that isn't vintage looking is the velcro on the beaver tail. They even have the annoying old wetsuit seams that leave lines all over your body ;)
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:43 pm

Bryan wrote:
Yeah, well my Keys transvestite dive buddy will probably be interested and sHe can provide a bra size.

A lot of these watersport and surfing suits really are not suitable for scuba because they crush. The Vintage Soul suits do use Rubatex so despite their being thin they would probably hold up better for scuba.

Along with rotten rubber round masks I am at a point where I have thrown in the towel on wetsuits. I like my great old sharkskin suit, when it is gone, and hopefully not soon, I am getting a drysuit. I could have bought a DUI custom suit for all the money I have spent trying to get a decent vintage suit made, I quit. In the final analysis, stuff has to work first, looks are second, to me.

Nem

JES
Plank Owner

Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:00 pm

Nemrod wrote:... Along with rotten rubber round masks I am at a point where I have thrown in the towel on wetsuits. I like my great old sharkskin suit, when it is gone, and hopefully not soon, I am getting a drysuit. I could have bought a DUI custom suit for all the money I have spent trying to get a decent vintage suit made, I quit. In the final analysis, stuff has to work first, looks are second, to me.

Nem
I'm with you regarding the drysuit. It's next on my list as well. 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108

INFIDELxx
Master Diver

Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:10 pm

JES wrote:
Nemrod wrote:... Along with rotten rubber round masks I am at a point where I have thrown in the towel on wetsuits. I like my great old sharkskin suit, when it is gone, and hopefully not soon, I am getting a drysuit. I could have bought a DUI custom suit for all the money I have spent trying to get a decent vintage suit made, I quit. In the final analysis, stuff has to work first, looks are second, to me.

Nem
I'm with you regarding the drysuit. It's next on my list as well. 8)

Me too! You guy's have any suggestions as to what manufactures to consider? :D
D.I.R.....With Voit !

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:10 am

Last I checked Rubatex G231 is still available, it should in theory be possible to get a real wetsuit made but I am unwilling ot spend another 1,000 dollars ordering them.

My Parkways Sharkskin will last a long time yet so I can remain vintage compliant when need be. I may have to have new zippers installed however.

As to a drysuit, I am looking at Bare and DUI. The White's Fusion is just to space cadet for me. I believe that Rob has a Viking which might be almost vintage! But, dear friends, that is a non vintage subject so best discuss that in PMs. My arthritis begs for a drysuit :D .

There are a few places I am still looking at for a custom G231 vintage suit but the prices I have been told are stratospheric. Rubatex G231 dives so much better than modern soft and stretchy neoprenes. It has much less weight shift and they are so warm. The suit I got from Wetwear is not totally a looser, it is G231, it fits decent, it is warm, it dives real nice but the workmanship is lousy and the plastic zippers suck if I can say that. I almost would try them again with the possibility that a few additional instructions and they might, might could deliver a satisfactory suit, anyone got a spare 500-650 dollars?

Nem

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”