Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
treasureman
Master Diver

DA Aquamaster LP seats

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:27 am

I have been going into my parts reg (all non serviceable parts), and I was looking at the LP stem and rubber seat. The stem is bent. While the seat surface has the imprint of the (volcano), i notice that the seat falls out quite easily, and the other side is still flat and non grooved, and quite clean.

Is it an acceptable form to simply turn the seat upside down and use the unused side. Could this be done as a field expedient fix, or should the used seats be discarded at all times.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:49 pm

I don't think it was the preferred practice, but I used to reverse the LP seats all the time and they worked fine (back in the 70's). Now a day I would replace them just because I don't know the age of the rubber.
Or maybe it is because I do know the age of the rubber...old.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

oldmossback

Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:31 pm

Treasureman.......I found that the GBC, bates Hummer 3 hole paper punch cuts the exact size disc for the low pressure stem. If you can find the correct type of rubber sheeting and correct thickness it works quite well. Not too thick though, there's not much room under the punch arms.

treasureman
Master Diver

lp seats

Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:42 pm

OK SO NOW WE NEED THE CORRECT TYPE OF RUBBER. darn caps key stuck.

I ve got three seats (new ) but it would be nice to have a dozen or so spare in case USd does not re intro the double hose

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:03 pm

The reason I spent a lot of money and hired a specialty rubber company to research the materials and build a mold to exatly match the original seats on the DA and Aqua-Lung series was so vintage divers would not have to use cheezy 2nd hand materials and tools to maintain their equipment.......
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:04 pm

The reason I spent a lot of money and hired a specialty rubber company to research the materials and build a mold to exatly match the original seats on the DA and Aqua-Lung series was so vintage divers would not have to use cheezy 2nd hand materials and tools to maintain their equipment.......
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

treasureman
Master Diver

rubber molds and seats.

Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:20 pm

I was under the impression that these parts being vintage and all were not being made anymore, hence trying to find some work arounds. If you got the parts being made in todays factory, no use re-inventing the wheel when the work is already done.

I spoke to a mould maker at a stamping shop who looked at my top box DA Aquamster, he said they can punch them out, with pop out places for the aIR EXHAUST AND THE HORNS, BUT THEY CANNOT MAKE THE HORNS

(DARN CAPS KEY not shouting).

the cost to make the mould apparently is quite expensive. He suggested using a composite plastic which could be made to accomodate the horns. Technology has come a long way.

But as Bryan has said, he has a modern company doing the work for the seats, which means our supply of seats is assured. Are we limited for example on HP seats, or is there a modern supply available for them

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:55 pm

Every part you see in the regulator kits on my site have been reproduced from the original parts by contractors all over the US. There is no danger of running out of any of those parts anytime in the near future. To get a company to produce a specialty part you must meet a minimum order which in most cases was 500 to 1000 pieces. It is not a cheap venture!!
I have approximately 300 DA/Royal/Conshelf and 200 Aqua-Lung/DA Navy 2nd stage LP seats at this time.

The High Pressure seats for the Aqua-Lung, DA Aqua-Master and all Mistrals is in short supply. When I completely exhaust my current stock I will look at reproducing them. If they are resurfaced correctly only the most severly damaged ones must be replaced.
The Royal can use the current Conshelf XIV high pressure seat. You must use the Conshelf pin and cut it to the correct length. The seat is far superior and more durable than the original one.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”