First Impressions - Dive Report
- I finally got to try my new Trieste Diaphragm underwater and I'm pleased to report, it's a huge success. Rich and I went to the public pool last Sunday... Max Depth 12 feet ... To do a comparison test between my new diaphragm equipped Trieste and three other double hose regulators.
- First is my new diaphragm Trieste... I dove it like I was just going diving with any of my DH regulators. My impressions are as follows. Very smooth and effortless inhaling. Actually quieter than expected. I swam a couple of underwater laps while kicking hard with my fins and never felt out of breath or any excess breathing effort. I don't have instruments to measure but the ease of breathing with the new diaphragm puts this regulator into the realm of a regular go-to Double Hose Regulator right alongside my favorites.
- Second was Rich's Trieste which was re-built by Greg Barlow and with the Dome Shaped replacement diaphragm that has been the only option until now. This regulator felt fine for the first 5-10 breaths. But as the dive progressed I could tell it was requiring significantly more effort to inhale. And it was more and more noticeable as my breathing muscles got more fatigued. Rich calls it a "Wall Hanger" because of the excessive breathing effort. I think we'll put a new James and Bill Diaphragm in it and turn it into a breather.
- 3rd was my Voit Navy... I figured that would be good to compare with these two Voits. My NAVY is tuned up and breathes super nice. And I think my Trieste with the new diaphragm was very close to the same breathing effort. I know it was not BETTER than the Navy but it was just as easy or awfully close.
- 4th was my Snark III... This one was a little difficult to judge. The Snark III was making alot of airflow noise like a Mistral and behaving a little erratic... like it wanted to free flow if I took too fast of a breath. By comparison, the New Diaphragm Trieste breathed quieter and smoother. Probably not a fair comparison with the Snark III acting strange as it was.
- 5th... Along with the new diaphragm, I ordered a 2-piece band clamp. This clamp makes it much easier to install a new diaphragm nice a straight and centered... Something very difficult with the original 1-piece band clamp.