ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Low Kraken IP

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:31 am

First: KRAKEN'S ROCK !!!! Love mine !!!

Decided to check the IP on my Kraken before taking it along on an UW hunting expedition next Monday to California's Northern Channel Islands. Anyway, got a consistent reading of 115 psi on a 2250 tank. I opened the cans and everything looked in really great condition. Got out my hex-tool and tried increasing the IP. Most I could get was about 122 psi. It has worked flawlessly, I keep it really clean, and I have had no reason to overhaul it in the 4 years I've had it. IP has always pinned at 135 psi. (I guess 4 years is a good run for any reg when used a lot.)  Anyway, looks like an overhaul is due, unfortunately not enough time before my trip. Did I wear out the main spring? Suggestions? Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Low Kraken IP

Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:37 am

1st I apologize for the problem with your Kraken. Please return it to me for service and I will put it back as close to new as possible. I'm with you on guessing main spring but I won't know till I see it. Even if I determined that it was only a weak main spring causing low IP it would make no difference as every item on the regulator that affects function or reliability will be replaced before its returned to you.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:22 pm

Bryan wrote:
1st I apologize for the problem with your Kraken. Please return it to me for service and I will put it back as close to new as possible. I'm with you on guessing main spring but I won't know till I see it. Even if I determined that it was only a weak main spring causing low IP it would make no difference as every item on the regulator that affects function or reliability will be replaced before its returned to you.
No need to apologize, it ain't your fault. I swapped out the old main spring for a NOS main spring and IP locks up at 135 without issue. The rest of the internals look amazingly good. Think I just need to order a rebuild kit, run the metal parts through the ultrasonic cleaner and be done with it. Krakens are built tough!
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:16 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:22 pm
Bryan wrote:
No need to apologize, it ain't your fault. I swapped out the old main spring for a NOS main spring and IP locks up at 135 without issue. The rest of the internals look amazingly good. Think I just need to order a rebuild kit, run the metal parts through the ultrasonic cleaner and be done with it. Krakens are built tough!

IMHO, I would not fix what is not broken. You found the issue (the main spring). If the rest looks "amazingly good" why mess with it. I would order the rebuild kit and keep it on hand, but why clean it, if it is already clean.

Some of the main springs have turn out to be a bit disappointing in the long run, but they are easily replaced without affecting anything else. Due to the limited volume for the springs, the design constrains on the spring requires relatively tight tolerances.

The only thing that I have ever replaced even on my oldest Argonaut (the first prototype) is the second stage seat. The second stage seat should be the only part that requires replacement every few years. Exposure to salt water and associated corrosion would be the other limiting factor that would drive a rebuild sooner (than maybe once a decade).

YMMV
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:18 pm

All good to go. I think I prematurely panicked.

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”