Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Now, why did I wait???

Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:47 pm

After more than 250 others before me, and having dove with different examples, I decided to purchase a new Phoenix unit for my restored Voit Navy. My only regret is that I waited so long to purchase my own.

My decision to wait was never based on the expense; it hinged upon my preference to dive with regs in their original configuration. I seldom even used a banjo fitting with a SPG.

After three dives, one to 132ffw, I can attest to the awesome performance offered by the balanced first stage. Also, having the ability to use LP and HP ports is "icing on the cake" as well.

The machining and plating are second to none, and I absolutely love the new yoke design.

These photos were taken when I first assembled the unit. Since then, I have replaced the AAS hose with a 30" Phantom braided LP hose, and added a 26" Phanton braided BCD inflator hose. My next planned modification is to replace the 30" HP hose with a 24-26" version.

If you are contemplating purchasing a Phoenix unit, I can encourage you not to wait like I did. Thanks, Bryan and Luis, for bringing my Voit Navy into the 21st century!

Greg

Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Re: Now, why did I wait???

Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:10 pm

Welcome to the Phoenix Owners Group!
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:04 pm

I guess it is ready for some ice diving this winter!

Robohips77
Master Diver

Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:05 am

Greg Barlow wrote:After more than 250 others before me, and having dove with different examples, I decided to purchase a new Phoenix unit for my restored Voit Navy. My only regret is that I waited so long to purchase my own.

My decision to wait was never based on the expense; it hinged upon my preference to dive with regs in their original configuration. I seldom even used a banjo fitting with a SPG.

After three dives, one to 132ffw, I can attest to the awesome performance offered by the balanced first stage. Also, having the ability to use LP and HP ports is "icing on the cake" as well.

The machining and plating are second to none, and I absolutely love the new yoke design.

These photos were taken when I first assembled the unit. Since then, I have replaced the AAS hose with a 30" Phantom braided LP hose, and added a 26" Phanton braided BCD inflator hose. My next planned modification is to replace the 30" HP hose with a 24-26" version.

If you are contemplating purchasing a Phoenix unit, I can encourage you not to wait like I did. Thanks, Bryan and Luis, for bringing my Voit Navy into the 21st century!

Greg

You must have said something about this project at Portage to me as i am currently doing the same idea. i know copy cat. I did a little deviation from your project and put black hoses and an original USN hour glass mouthpiece on mine.When it gets completed i will post for all to see. I am excited to get this in the water when done. but I will have to give it to you for a maiden voyage this fall. Robohips be drydocked for a few more months.
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

Robohips77
Master Diver

Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:02 pm

Robohips77 wrote:
Greg Barlow wrote:After more than 250 others before me, and having dove with different examples, I decided to purchase a new Phoenix unit for my restored Voit Navy. My only regret is that I waited so long to purchase my own.

Greg

You must have said something about this project at Portage to me as i am currently doing the same idea. i know copy cat. I did a little deviation from your project and put black hoses and an original USN hour glass mouthpiece on mine.When it gets completed i will post for all to see. I am excited to get this in the water when done. but I will have to give it to you for a maiden voyage this fall. Robohips be drydocked for a few more months.

You will notice I used black hoses, a USN original hourglass mouthpiece and I also used an original tire USD yoke screw. I have a new label attached showing the original Voit serial number and also the Phoenix serial number ( and my fingerprints). I also have a matching small label decal coming for the yoke screw. Thanks again to all for giving me some new ideas. Can't wait to dive this one.
:D Greg and Rob, If you want to give it a maiden voyage please let me know. All this sunshine and no dang H2O for me to at least look at. 8)
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”