EberWolf
Lung Diver
First Name: James

Depth of the Kraken

Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:57 pm

While I was getting help with fitting and adjusting my harness at a LDS there were many questions. The one that I had never seen an answer to was

"How deep can you go with the Kraken?"

Is there a maximum depth rating on this regulator?

Jim

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Depth of the Kraken

Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:20 pm

I was going to say 20,000 leagues but........ seriously folks, I've had my Kraken down 150 feet on several occasions and it worked just fine.

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:08 pm

I had my Phoenix to 190 without my hoses colapsing. I think the rcomended deep limmit is about 1000ft before the human body starts developing psychological ticks. Acording to the book Sea Lab. That would be my answere on depth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

Chris
Master Diver

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:10 pm

Eber, I'm suprised there were any questions. Ive shown my kraken and phoenix to several shops and its just in one ear out the other.

Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:52 pm

Answer their question by asking, how deep can you go with your Scubapro, Aqua-Lung, Apex, etc? Or ask am I diving air or nitrox?
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:19 pm

simonbeans wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:52 pm
Answer their question by asking, how deep can you go with your Scubapro, Aqua-Lung, Apex, etc? Or ask am I diving air or nitrox?
In an independant test, after 240' a Poseidon finally flowed more air than an Argonaut Kraken.
Somewhere in YouTube land there is a video of Luis, Rob and I at 165' in Cozumel.
I think it did far more than that in Truk.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:07 pm

A few of us had our Argonaut close to 200 ft using air, but the limiting factor is not the regulator.

On deep dives, I tend to have a fairly clear mind in warm clear water, and that is only shown by the pictures that I have taken and operated my camera at depth, but many things can affect narcosis and there is no guaranty on any one dive. I do not recommend deep air dives to anyone and it is totally independent of any regulator.

My Argonaut Kraken (and any properly adjusted Argonaut) are adjusted to breath great at any depth, so there is no extra “work of breathing“ issue that would affect the diver.

But, in order to maintain a clear mind I would highly recommend the use of tri-mix for deep dives. And yes, the Argonaut Kraken will work just like any other regulator on any gas mixture including tri-mix or heli-ox. The only issue is that helium is getting kind of expensive for open circuit diving.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

luis
VDH Moderator

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:16 pm

tripplec wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:08 pm
I had my Phoenix to 190 without my hoses colapsing.
There is absolutely no reason to even consider that any hose on any double hose regulator would ever collapse, that is unless your tank valve was closed and you swam the regulator down several atmospheres.

If the tank valve is open (and there is air in the tank), the demand valve diaphragm will be the only thing flexing to maintain the same pressure inside and out.

The pressure inside the hoses and the case should always be the same the outside pressure (within a few inches of water column at max). That is how a Scuba diving demand regulator works.
Luis

Chris
Master Diver

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:26 pm

I know Luis. I just have to throw that out with a bit of sarcasm because I've been told that by self proclaimed smarter divers. But you have a good explanation of how it works.

luis
VDH Moderator

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:48 pm

Sorry, I could not tell it was intended with sarcasm. A smilie would have helped.

A statement like that just scares the heck out me. :shock:

This is when I suggest that taking up golf as an activity is probably appropriate. :roll:
Luis

Chris
Master Diver

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:52 pm

Ha. Ya, I should act my age and start using the face things. A while back I sent my kraken to the depths on an anchor with preasure guages to show people why my lungs, or hoses, dont flatten.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:14 pm

I attempted to teach science in public high school for a couple of years. I decided it was a useless endeavor lacking reward and not especially lucrative either. However, I did learn even if my supposed students did not and as a result I am not surprised one little bit. Most people, the majority, in their daily lives do not do much more forward planning than a chimpanzee and have a memory of the bad results about equal to a flat worm. The only reason that I can speculate, with some scientific insight, as to the success of the human race as a species, we apparently like to have sex and are good at it and this results in lots of little humans to continue the species forward.

Nem

Chris
Master Diver

Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:25 pm

luis wrote:Sorry, I could not tell it was intended with sarcasm. A smilie would have helped.

A statement like that just scares the heck out me. :shock:

This is when I suggest that taking up golf as an activity is probably appropriate. :roll:
Most newer divers probaly should take up golf with the kind of training they get for $350. No common sense in the water. One guy that used my phoenix said "I just want to put my regulator in my mouth and not think about what it's doing so I can focus on the dive".

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”