lakediver
Lung Diver
First Name: George

Anthologies

Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:53 pm

Anthologies can be a good way to find more obscure works or a starting point to search for ideas for further reading. One I am enjoying right now is The Underwater Aquanaut by Hillary Hauser. It covers topics from the early diving era, treasure hunting and archaeology, to even some prose and poetry. Another anthology worth checking out is The Seaside Reader: An Anthology. This is a more general work but is of interest to anyone who loves the sea. Lastly an excellent read (although not an anthology) is Breverton's Nautical Curiosities: A Book Of The Sea by Terry Breverton. It may be old stuff to some of you old salts, but was fascinating to a Midwesterner like myself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Britmarine
VDH Moderator
First Name: David

Re: Anthologies

Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:37 am

lakediver wrote:Anthologies can be a good way to find more obscure works or a starting point to search for ideas for further reading.
Thanks for flagging up these titles, Lakediver. Anthologies can be a fascinating and informative genre of literature. One of the volumes that survived a deep cull of my personal library of foreign language teaching books - I taught French and German before retirement from secondary education - was a 500-page compilation of articles entitled The Teaching of German: Problems and Methods and covering just about every topic imaginable in the field. It served me well over the years and I can still remember purchasing it in a used book store in Evanston, near Chicago, back in the 1980s. Following the turn of the new milliennium, I myself contributed a couple of articles to foreign language teaching anthologies which eventually appeared in print, so I've experienced what it's like to be an anthologist from the inside too. The editor is the only person with an overview of the final publication and I didn't know who the other contributors were until a few months before publication date. At the same time I was acutely aware that I was one piece in a big jigsaw, imposing a duty on me to be original, to avoid repeating what the other contributors were probably saying, but to remember at all times that what I wrote had to complement the other articles and make the final picture complete.

Getting back to diving literature, I had observed from my modest collection how most the book-length titles were the work of a single author, while a tiny minority were the output of two authors. Multiple-author publications in the diving field tend to be journals, magazines and conference proceedings. Perhaps many (most?) book-writing divers are rugged individualists reluctant to contemplate the prospect of sharing the authorship of a single tome.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Anthologies

Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:15 am

Good to hear from you David. :)
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”