pearldiver
Vintage Diver

Electrolung Skin Diver Magazine

Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:29 pm

Ok... Yank Down Under and I are discussing re-breathers. I have a question for you. When was the Electrolung shown in the Skin Diver Magazine on the front cover. If I remember right, it was 1970 or 1971. I may be off, but I'd like to know. I never heard of the Electrolung after that article. It was supposed to make SCUBA diving obsolete. Does anyone remember that?

VINTAGESCUBA

Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:35 pm

It was the Sep,1970 issue.It has a six page story on it.I have some info from a friend of mine that was to going write an article for HDS on it.The inventer made 18 units at first.Then sold it to Beckman.They made about 35 to 50 units.They were bought mostly by scientist and commerical oil divers.The CIA or military black ops units received some.There was a few fatalites with one unit.After that it dissapeared.They cost almost $5,000 in 1970.

VINTAGESCUBA

Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:37 pm

VINTAGESCUBA wrote:It was the Sep,1970 issue.It has a six page story on it.I have some info from a friend of mine that was going to write an article for HDS on it.The inventer made 18 units at first.Then sold it to Beckman.They made about 35 to 50 units.They were bought mostly by scientist and commerical oil divers.The CIA or military black ops units received some.There was a few fatalities with one unit.After that it dissapeared.They cost almost $5,000 in 1970.

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”