Turtleguy9
Skin Diver

20 years Under the Sea

Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:01 am

Aloha All
I just picked up a pretty pristine copy of 20 Years Under the Sea by Williamson. Its a third printing, but nice. The Dust Jacket is intact, but now shows signs of cracking. Should I try to keep the Jacket intact, or try to make a copy of it?
Thanks
Turtleguy9

20 Years under the sea --Williamson

Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:28 am

Keep it originial as possible! Do not toss that cover!

Order some "Broart" plastic dust jacket covers for the book from e bay--very good pricing but you must buy a number of them...cover all the hard backs with dust jackets in your collections with the Broart covers.

If the dust Jacket is cracking and otherwise in disrepair it can be gently restored by patching on the under side of the jacket with archival acid library tape or using the white margins with out printing from US postage stamp sheets..US stamps are produced from very high quality acid free archival paper stock.

Never- ever- use "Magic mending tape," "Scotch tape" glue, etc to mend a book, its cover or pages.

My copy is the 1936, edition published by Hale, Cushman & Flint ,319 pages, a number of photgraphs no LCC or ISBN numbers. And NO dust jacket! (We need to chat off line)

These old ones are becomming rare by the minute...You were certainly lucky to find a copy in such pristine condition..

Turtleguy9
Skin Diver

Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:36 am

Thanks for the tips on the book. I will see about preserving it.
Aloha
Roger

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”