Vintagediver
Master Diver

Re: What would you say ?

Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:52 pm

I applaud the decision that you made Bryan, and I certainly hope that this individual pays you for the services that you have rendered. It is quite obvious from the photos that this reg was well used; but definitely lacked the proper maintenance from the owner. THANK YOU for the concerns that you have expressed in regards to this matter, and obviously all of them that you are involved in. This is only one example of why you have my respect and I know the respect of the members of the vintage community. Your services and all that you provide are very much appreciated by all of us! The decision you chose was above and beyond the call of duty, and certainly BEYOND FAIR. 8) Terry
The friendship of many has been inspired and created while together we've explored beneath the waves the wonders of God's creation.

NAVED Member #137
Member of The 2016, 2017 Sea Hunt Forever Dive Team

USdiver
Master Diver

Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:18 pm

Interesting thread guys. In my law practice, I am constantly dealing with similar situations, some clients believe my rates are very reasonable and pay in full with no issues, while others act like my rates are out of line with what they expect to pay for legal services. In the end, I do a lot of what you just did Bryan, do the best I can for my client, and then see what comes by way of payment. In a worst case scenario when nothing is forthcoming, there is a remedy at law, quantum meruit meaning "that amount which he deserves" it allows for a court to decide how much is a fair value for what was provided, and keeps the customer/client from being "unjustly enriched" at the business owner's expense. I think you did the right thing, and hope that your customer sees it as such and provides sufficient compensation for your time, materials and expertise.
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:32 pm

Bryan wrote:... I E-mailed the diver and told him I would do the regulator and Phoenix nozzle soup to nuts 100% and return it to him. He could take it diving and then decide what to pay me....
I agree with what DB said and think that this is in keeping with the highest standards that you consistently practice at VDH. Well done.
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:41 am

If that were my own reg, and I saw those pictures, I wouldn't even question as to whether or not I should pay for the repairs.

If I were to purchase a new car and then neglect to change the oil, would I have a legitimate gripe when the engine suffered major damage after "only" 30,000 miles?

Bryan always goes the "extra mile" to make a deal right. I know, because I once had an issue with a banjo fitting not working properly. Not only was the issue dealt with professionally, but in a timely manner as well.

I would think that anyone diving a DH reg would understand basic care and proper storage. Perhaps a printed sheet outlining the proper care of a DH could be included with each purchase or service? Just a thought...

Again, if it were my reg, I would ask how much I owe for "my mistake".

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:44 pm

I was just trying to gauge my response so I could see if I was making a mountain out of a mole hill or not. Thanks for the replies....
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

usddude
Master Diver

Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:11 pm

Looks like diver neglect in those pictures..for sure. Hey Bryan, I cannot buy anything of relative value at Best Buy, Staples, Sams, and even Wal-Mart without being asked to buy an extended warranty..extended warranty service...hmm :wink:

usd

YankDownUnder
Master Diver

Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:17 pm

I would suggest you clean it up to a standard you are proud of, and service the regulator with all parts you deem necessary. Then take a picture of the serviced regulator and send him the picture with an invoice for the normal amount with shipping costs, stating the regulator has past it's one year warranty date.

If he doesn't pay the invoice by the due date, sell it on your site to recover your costs.

Steve

diverdown1955
Skin Diver

Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:50 pm

BRYAN,
TWENTY FIVE YEARS IN RETAIL AND I WAS ALWAYS REMINDED OF THIS
VIEW POINT, " A CUSTOMER IS WON BY MANY ACTS AND LOST BY ONE.".

THE BEST ADVERTISING IS WORD OF MOUTH AND ONE BAD APPLE CAN
HURT YOU IN WAYS YOU'LL NEVER KNOW. WE ALWAYS ASKED THE CUSTOMER,
WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO DO? 99.9% OF THE TIME THEY WOULD BE PLEASED
WITH MUCH LESS THAN WE WERE PREPARED TO OFFER.

JERRY

P.S. YOUR WORD OF MOUTH ADVERTISING IS EXCELLENT!
"I FEEL BETTER ALREADY"

treasureman
Master Diver

Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:23 pm

No one ever regretted buying quality and service ever!

Bryan does first class work. I have several regs i bought from him and pheonix nozzles. Cistomer service is the key to this industry even for douchebags like this client. (no offence to the original douchebag he is a prince among men:)

However it takes only a second to loose a client, and they will tellm three others how lousy a service was and how they got screwed. It costs thousands to get new customers. While tehr are certain cases where you have to fire the client and dump them, I do not think this is the case. bruans choice was correct and from sa business satndpoint on solid ground. I myself being a bit mercenary would have slightly increased the return shipping costs... well ok I would not have done that
NAVED # 133...

Bon Vivant, and treasure finder

MK15diver
Vintage Diver

Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:50 pm

Hey if someone is that ticked about your wonderful products and service then maybe he should service the thing himself. I can say that everything Bryan has done for me has been top notch and I'll never get anything serviced any place else. My Phoenix is still working fine and won't need to be serviced for quit some time however when it does it's going back to Bryan no questions asked.
Someone told me that diving a double hose reg will kill me. I had no idea these things were dangerous.

Return to “General Discussions”