BigSwell
Master Diver
First Name: Kevin

Boy On a Dolphin (movie)

Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:55 pm

Just watched Boy On a Dolphin (1957) and it has some underwater doublehose action with Sophia Loren (her first feature film) and Alan Ladd. While the story is a bit Τυρώδης the scenery in the Greek Ilses and diving is neat; the equipment even better. This was filmed on the Greek isles of Hydra, Mykonos, Santorini, etc.. back before techno,the Kardasians, instagram and f8kbook ruined the MED for unsoiled travel, diving and sleepy fishing villages. It looks like the underwater stuff was probably shot in a large aquarium tank, I didn't know Calico Bass and Bat Rays are in the MED. And Sophia makes not wearing a wetsuit look 'fashionable' long before Jacqueline Bisset wore a white t-shirt instead of a wetsuit. Look it up at your local library or stream online, I enjoyed it and wish we could go back to diving like it was back then.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050208/

rx7diver
Lung Diver
First Name: Ronald

Re: Boy On a Dolphin (movie)

Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:42 pm

Unfortunately, "Boy on a Dolphin" is not running on NetFlix. What streaming service are you using?

rx7diver

BigSwell
Master Diver

Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:05 am

I checked the DVD out at my local library. If you have a Roku or similar streaming device maybe try a search for it, sometimes I've found older titles on channels such as Crackle etc, all for free.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:02 pm

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:31 am

Watched it via YouTube yesterday. Obviously Sophia Loren steals all the scenes however the double hose diving shots were good. I tried to determine the regs used, but not too many close ups of the fronts. However they are USDs with at least one with a red label which could be either a Stream Air or Trade Mark and a blue or maybe black which could be a Navy-Approved or another (Blue label) trade mark. The hoses did not have a continuous loop but separate mouth pieces and Tinnermans so I would quess later models Stream Air and Navy-approved. Sophia looks to have a B-4 Voit mask, again another guess. The quality of the YouTube copy is very good, however no good closeup of the regs from the front. Nice triples and, of course, cotton harnesses, hummmmmm.

Allan
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:59 pm

simonbeans wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:31 am
Watched it via YouTube yesterday. Obviously Sophia Loren steals all the scenes however the double hose diving shots were good. . The quality of the YouTube copy is very good, however no good closeup of the regs from the front. Nice triples and, of course, cotton harnesses, hummmmmm.

Allan
I guess the director figured that audiences were more interested in views other than the reg labels.

We just watched it last night, and I tried to convince Francie that it was the regulators that captured my interest.
The older I get the better I was.

BigSwell
Master Diver

Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:57 pm

I forgot to mention the monastery scenes looked very similar to those in For Your Eyes Only... coincidence? Yet another film with great underwater scenes... and pretty ladies using scuba.
https://jamesbond.fandom.com/wiki/St._C ... _Monastery

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:48 am

OK, BOY on a Dolphin and The Deep do provide us with the views of nice vintage gear. So, why not take a poll on which shot of vintage "gear" is most appealing.

On left: Boy on Dolphin On right: The Deep

For Your Eyes Only

Cast your vote!!!!
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

swimjim
Master Diver

Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:36 pm

Sofia Loren has the best, uh hum, setup. :D

USdiver
Master Diver

Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:38 pm

+1 on SL

JB gets a pass for eating crackers in bed as well.
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:51 pm

I'm going to have to study the photos very carefully for quite some period of time before I'll be able to decide. I am partial to twin 38's.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

swimjim
Master Diver

Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:36 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:51 pm
I'm going to have to study the photos very carefully for quite some period of time before I'll be able to decide. I am partial to twin 38's.
The real hot stuff is at 1:33:52 leaning on the far rail....

lakediver
Lung Diver
First Name: George

Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:56 pm

Actually in Boy on a Dolphin Sophia had an equally enchanting stunt double. https://groovyhistory.com/scilla-gabel-sophia-loren

Return to “General Discussions”