luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

DAN COVID-19 And Diving Update

Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:32 pm

DAN (Divers Alert Network) COVID-19 And Diving Update

I watched this live tonight and it was a great presentation with very good information.

It is really cool that you can watch the video and stop it to look at the graphics in detail. It has some fantastic graphics.

https://dan.org/education-events/events ... t=textLink

Here is the You Tube DAN COVID-19 And Diving Update (June 2021)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whfpHT7kMro[/youtube]

Here is the video in YouTube (from 2020)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKINfdHC-k4[/youtube]

I am not sure why I can't embed the video, but the links work.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

captain
Plank Owner

Re: DAN COVID-19 And Diving Update

Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:06 am

Please keep Covid out of the forum, there is already too much about it everywhere else.
Captain

luis
VDH Moderator

Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:16 pm

Hi Captain

I have to assume that you did not watch the video, or read the title, or realized that this came from the Divers Alert Network.

This is very much about diving.

The video has a lot of excellent information coming from DAN studies, the US Navy and other medical research.

Thanks

[youtube]<iframe width="1818" height="726" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/whfpHT7kMro" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]
Luis

captain
Plank Owner

Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:58 am

I know it was from DAN and naturally would be about diving. I have not had the virus so whatever it says is not applicable to me. I don't know if any members here have had it but if any did I say it would be between them and their doctor when or if a return to diving is possible. If one is a DAN member,(I am not), they probably are already aware of it.
It seems there isn't an online forum on any subject that doesn't have a pages long thread about the virus. It's on TV and in newspapers everyday.
After 18 months I think most people have just had enough and want to get back to normal. I know I do.
Captain

luis
VDH Moderator

Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:16 am

Hi Captain

I agree that most people including myself would like to get back to normal and that is why I am sharing useful diving medical information.

You are totally welcome to ignore it, but please, do not try to moderate my post.

Just because you are not interested, it doesn't mean that others may not be.

This is valuable information about diving related medicine coming form a highly respected source. The subjects covered by the three doctors include a lot of important subjects.

If someone doesn't want to add to their knowledge, that is up to them to move along and ignore my post.

Added some stuff about DAN:

I assumed that everyone here is familiar with Divers Alert Network and is hopefully a member.

If you are not a member, please consider becoming a member.

We have been to many presentations from DAN in hyperbaric and diving medicine and they have all been great. They are a leader in research on DCS (decompression sickness) and diving medicine.

If you ever have any diving medical question they can help you or at least try to help you. They have a lot of information on their web site, but you can also call them. If you call them with a question, they actually have a human being that will answer the phone and try to help you. I have called them several times with questions.

https://dan.org/

https://dan.org/about-dan/

Here is some information about DAN:
Divers Alert Network (DAN) is a group of not-for-profit organizations dedicated to improving diving safety for all divers. It was founded in Durham, North Carolina, United States, in 1980 at Duke University providing 24/7 telephonic hot-line diving medical assistance. Since then the organization has expanded globally and now has independent regional organizations in North America, Europe, Japan, Asia-Pacific and Southern Africa.
DAN has an international network of emergency call centers which operate 24 hours a day to provide members with specialized assistance for diving emergencies from a group of experts in Diving and Hyperbaric Medicine
Divers Alert Network America, DAN America, or just DAN is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization devoted to assisting divers in need. It is supported by donations, grants, and membership dues. Its research department conducts medical research on recreational scuba diving safety while its medical department helps divers to find answers to their diving medical questions. Regions of coverage include the United States and Canada.
International DAN (IDAN) comprises independently administered nonprofit DAN organizations based around the world that provide expert emergency medical and referral services to regional diving communities. Each DAN depends on the support of the divers of its region to provide its safety and educational services, and may provide locally appropriate insurance options. They operate under protocol standards set by the IDAN Headquarters.

DAN (America) serves as the headquarters for IDAN.
Luis

BigSwell
Master Diver
First Name: Kevin

Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:12 pm

Thanks for the post Luis, especially the direct U-Tube link. Your point about relevancy to international travel can't be overstated, especially if you are thinking of traveling to a remote small island or country with little to no medial resources. Knowing what to expect right now with travel to/in other countries is absolutely essential. We (the U.S.) are head & shoulders above where the rest of the world is right now with covid vaccinations, especially seeing the uptick in the Delta variant. I also appreciate your attention to mentioning joining DAN, even if you only do local dives. I've seen first hand on a remote liveaboard when DAN literately paid off in spades for a med evac of a diver. When you are talking roughly $1,000 per flight hour for a helo evac alone that insurance really helps. And the access to cutting edge medical data DAN has is an extra bonus, hopefully divers can see the value in it, I sure do. Cheers!

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:46 am

captain wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:06 am
Please keep Covid out of the forum, there is already too much about it everywhere else.
I agree. But since it was brought it up and opinions have been offered, here's my experience with covid and diving outside the USA:

We booked a trip to Cozumel. The day after, CDC issued a rule that no one can get back in the USA without a negative covid test. So my first thought was, "Where can I get a phoney test certificate in Cozumel?" Not to worry... Within hours the hotel sent an email saying they'll have covid testing for free and if you're positive, they'll put you up in quarantine for 2 weeks free. Well, I figured that pretty much guarantees a negative test. And sure enough, a whole week down there with nobody wearing masks and not a single positive covid test. (PS the poor hotel workers all had to wear masks)

But here's the funny part... We're all sitting on the plane on the way back, obediently wearing our masks... And this one passenger stood up and said, "Everyone on this plane was tested negative for covid... Why do we still have to wear masks?" Good question? Bad citizen?

That's my story... Come to your own conclusions.

(Luis, here's your original video link)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:33 pm

I agree with Captain, enough with the Covid. It tends to get political and this is a no politics forums.

James

luis
VDH Moderator

Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:16 pm

This is about diving medicine and sharing knowledge. I am going to ask people not to post here unless you have some useful knowledge to contribute, hopefully after you have watched the video. Please let’s keep this positive.

This is an issue that DAN and the US Navy Diving and Hyperbaric Medicine take very seriously. You can learn more about it in the presentation, but if you are not open to Covid information, please move along.
Luis

dhaas
Lung Diver

Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:54 pm

I appreciate Luis sharing the DAN information.

While I work at staying active (turning 68 later this year) I hope to keep diving anywhere and everywhere for a decade or more before hanging up the fins.
Knowing what this totally different virus could mean to my diving is important at least to me.

Traveling as far as possible is my mantra these days so as Eben and others said, "just my opinion".

David Haas

Return to “General Discussions”