eskimo3883
Master Diver

Northill Tank Color???

Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:57 pm

Hi, I was lucky enough to get hold of a Northill Tank and harness. CAme with a 1958 Northill reg. The tank's original date stamp is 1955 and is painted in a gray color in a pigment about right for a Navy ship. I suspect the paint is over a thin and smooth Zinc coating but I am not sure of this. Looks like the gray paint covers a 1960 hydro stamp. I have not seen any photos of their tanks in color. Does anyone know if this tank would be originally bare steel, bare galvanized zinc, or likely painted a gray color?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“A skin diver is a fellow who pulls on a pair of fancy swimming trunks, some rubber fins, a diving mask and canvas gloves, then fills his lungs with air and noses down into the ocean looking for two fisted trouble.”

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Northill Tank Color???

Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:05 am

Nice find! The gray color showing where the thin paint job is chipped off looks like it is galvanized to me. Otherwise I would expect to see at least some rust color showing if it were bare steel. It would seem strange if Northill had painted a thin and flawed finish over a perfectly good galvanized finish. I think I would strip the paint off.
The older I get the better I was.

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:50 pm

Mine is galaviized

eskimo3883
Master Diver

Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:29 am

Thanks for the input. Always good to hear from more experienced folks. I will strip the tank to its original bare zinc.
“A skin diver is a fellow who pulls on a pair of fancy swimming trunks, some rubber fins, a diving mask and canvas gloves, then fills his lungs with air and noses down into the ocean looking for two fisted trouble.”

Return to “General Discussions”