EberWolf
Lung Diver
First Name: James

Dive Trip Planning Advice

Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:54 am

My wife and I are currently living in the Kingdom of Bahrain. I have use of loose vacation time this year and the possibility of a free flight.

I'd like to go somewhere for 2 weeks. I went to the Maldives last year prior to the Covid shut down. I started looking at it this year but the sticker shock of a 2 week visit is making my eye twitch.

I'm AOW certified with 50 dives, my wife is OW with 5 dives. An easier dive area would be ideal for her and she doesn't want to dive every/multiple times a day. Also, no liveaboards. We have all our own gear that will be freshly checked and serviced.

Does anyone have any recommendations where we could go or areas to look at?

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Re: Dive Trip Planning Advice

Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:06 am

With both of yours' limited experience, I would recommend Bonaire. Easy diving, great conditions and super island. Dive as often or as little as you desire, shore, or boat, your choice. Plenty of places to stay, good food and one of my favorites.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:10 pm

Bonaire is a great choice, but I am hearing COVID is surging. The next Island over, Curacao, is possibly better off. Easy diving there, shore is easier than Bonaire with almost all sites being sand beaches. Not as many as Bonaire. Nice options with shops/guides or you can do it on your own. Been to Curacao 3 times in 2 years prior to COVID. Much cheaper for us to get there compared to Bonaire (like all three to Curacao for the cost of one to Bonaire).

Have fun! I'm jealous. I'M sitting on 3 airline tickets I can't use because I can't get into Canada to fly out...
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:52 pm

The recommendations so far are good, but from where you are I would go to the Red Sea. It is kind of in your neighborhood.

I would try someplace like Sharm El-Sheikh.

When are you planning on going?

Bonaire is not really available at moment.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

h2operations
Master Diver
First Name: Paul

Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:37 pm

I would follow along with Luis and try the close to home. If you are stuck on coming to the other side of the pond then the Bonaire or Curacao. I prefer Curacao as it is not as popular as Bonaire. The dives are easy access from the beach or at the resorts house reefs. Since both sit below the hurricane belt the weather there is pretty good all the time. I had some buddies just come back from Bonaire just be ready to get a nose swabbing.

EberWolf
Lung Diver
First Name: James

Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:52 am

Before we leave we need a nasal poke from a hospital at 106$ per person. When we return to Bahrain we get a nasal poke at the airport at a cost of 160$ per person. Then we get another nasal poke 5 days later, this one is free. Then we get another nasal poke on day 10, free also. The hospital tests are annoying but not bad. The airport staff digs for gold.

And an added bonus, US medical insurance is not accepted here. All med bills are paid out of pocket and submitted for reimbursement later.

Return to “General Discussions”