SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Online Nitrox Certification

Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:06 pm

Online Nitrox Certification
- My buddy Rich (50,001 Questions) has been encouraging me to get Nitrox certified for the past 5 years or so and I always blow it off with "What do I need that for? You Nitrox guys always dive the AIR tables so what's the point?" (It's another layer of safety, right?) Besides, we don't have Nitrox instruction locally so it's a big inconvenience for me to go out of town to get it.
- Even so, I got some books on it and read up. So I understood the physiology and advantages. Plus, I see my Tech Diver buddies SwimJim and Eric using Nitrox in their deep wreck dives requiring decompression stops. They practice with it at Fortune Pond.
- So I figured to take a Nitrox course on my upcoming trip to Cozumel. But then I learned it is just a book work course and they certify you without an actual open water test. So I didn't need to be near a lake or the ocean. AND, I wasn't looking forward to spending a day of my vacation in a classroom.
- So then I looked online for a Nitrox class to take before my trip. And I think I found just about the most perfect solution for me:

https://www.onlinenitroxlessons.com/NitroxLessons.html

- It's a course that results in a Nitrox certification from SDI. There are 4 modules and you take a quiz after each one. Then you take a final exam which is basically a review of what you learned for the quizzes. If you get any questions wrong, you can re-take the quizzes (and the final) as many times as it takes to get 100% correct answers. I took the whole course in about 3-4 hours on Friday night after work!
- What's covered:
1. The first module explains what Nitrox is and gives laws of Physics and Physiolgy that apply to it. It gives formulas and has you do some calculations.
2. The second module gives some review of AIR diving and use of decompression tables to calculate repetitive dive times.
3. The third module presents Nitrox I (32%) and Nitrox II (36%) decompression tables and has you work through use of them for multiple dives.
4. The fourth module is on equipment requirements and diver responsibilities.

I will be receiving a my Nitrox Certificate by 2nd Day Fedex this week (for my trip) and my certification card 2-3 weeks from now. :D
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Online Nitrox Certification

Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:05 pm

I did my first Nitrox course online back in 2013. It was was with Scuba Divers of America. I did that in preparation for a Coz trip. Down there it makes sense. For a lot of the rec diving I do around here, eh. Because of the cold, dive times are too short to make it worth while. I took advanced Nitrox and Intro tech, which covered beginning trimix a couple years back. When I'm diving 170 feet in 38 degree water, it's real nice to switch over to 50/50 and then to 100% at the last stop to get me out of the water faster. For my Fortune Pond, Wazee and Door county trips I always pack a 40 cubic foot cylinder with 100% O2 just in case I or somebody else has an issue at the surface. That saved my posterior several squares back when my dive buddy helped me out. Nothing like a bends hit to make you sharpen your skills!

Herman
VDH Moderator

Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:57 pm

I would recommend you email ahead and make sure the dive shop you plan to use will accept it. I had friends take an online course only to find out that dive shops do not accept it. They were not happy campers and ended up paying for 2 certs. Not saying this will happen to you but I know for sure it does happen.
Herman

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:29 pm

My Nitrox course consisted of one 2-hour lecture at the dive shop and I was supposed to dive two nitrox tanks on my own time, analyzing the gas at the dive shop each time. Did the former, never did the latter, got my TDI Nitrox card in the mail a few weeks later. I see no reason why an online course isn't just fine, I just wouldn't go telling the dive boat guy you punched a few buttons on your keyboard and a Nitrox card popped out. :) Mention you had to do pushups and a free ascent from 100' and tow a dive boat with your teeth 200 yards in a brisk chop. M
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:14 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:29 pm
My Nitrox course consisted of one 2-hour lecture at the dive shop and I was supposed to dive two nitrox tanks on my own time, analyzing the gas at the dive shop each time. Did the former, never did the latter, got my TDI Nitrox card in the mail a few weeks later. I see no reason why an online course isn't just fine, I just wouldn't go telling the dive boat guy you punched a few buttons on your keyboard and a Nitrox card popped out. :) Mention you had to do pushups and a free ascent from 100' and tow a dive boat with your teeth 200 yards in a brisk chop. M

Can you do that while breathing Nitrox? I must have missed that chapter during my class. :?
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:44 am

luis wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:14 pm
Can you do that while breathing Nitrox? I must have missed that chapter during my class. :?
Sure, just use a 21% mix. :)
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

SurfLung
Master Diver

Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:41 pm

Certified!
- I read a book on Nitrox diving a few years ago after returning from a liveaboard dive trip. Back then, I also ordered an E-Book on blending and learned a bit more from that. But I never finished up with a certification until now. I feel kind of good about that. :)
SurfLung

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:46 pm

SurfLung wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:41 pm
Certified!
- I read a book on Nitrox diving a few years ago after returning from a liveaboard dive trip. Back then, I also ordered an E-Book on blending and learned a bit more from that. But I never finished up with a certification until now. I feel kind of good about that. :)
Yea, but it says " Expires in 20 days" right under the date. Better get a bunch of nitrox dives in quick. :shock:

SurfLung
Master Diver

Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:37 am

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:46 pm
Yea, but it says " Expires in 20 days" right under the date. Better get a bunch of nitrox dives in quick. :shock:
Yeah this is a temporary document and came with Medical History and Legal Release forms I had to sign and send in to get my permanent C-Card. This doc is supposed to be "acceptable at dive shops everywhere" for my upcoming trip. :)

BTW - For anybody that's interested, I found that E-Book on blending Nitrox. Here's the link:
https://www.envirodive.com/gas_blender_manual.html
SurfLung

h2operations
Master Diver
First Name: Paul

Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:08 pm

I can remember the days of my youth when guys were hot mixing their own gases. It was not a good time in the sport. Please use caution O2 can be an worthy adversary.
Not sure if you have looked at any of the APPs for Nitrox ? This one seems to be one of the better and user friendly. I like to save trees these days and don't do math in my head or on paper anymore. Nitrox Tools https://apps.apple.com/us/app/nitrox-tools/id284919980

SurfLung
Master Diver

Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:47 am

Yeah it's kind of funny how the course runs you thru the tables figuring repetitive dive times and then tells you not to use the tables... Too complicated and easy to make a mistake... "Use a Computer". The blending calculations are widely computerized as well. I found your app in the app store. But I also found another one that's just a mobile website (not an app).
http://iphone.somemore.com/mixer/
SurfLung

reddiver
Lung Diver
First Name: David

Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:58 pm

DItto to what Herman said. Dive Friends Bonaire would not accept on Line Nitrox cards.

I did not have the card anyway, so I took the Padi 2 hour course for $100 ( I think),
received a nice card with my photo, and was good to go.
Best to call ahead so you can be prepared.

BigSwell
Master Diver
First Name: Kevin

Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:49 am

I'm not sure I would be worried whether a class was online or not but rather the credibility of the certifying agency, I've never heard of SDA and most dive destinations seem to only accept the big name certs. Especially now with PADI, SSI on others doing online instruction during Covid. As I'm sure you know, NITROX is all about partial pressures of gases and how they work on our physiology under pressure. When I got into rebreather diving I wondered why the theory of NITROX wasn't taught in basic scuba classes, OW2 for example? I suspect at some point NITROX will become a part of basic scuba certification, but it's all about making $$$ (PayAnotherDiveInstructor). I can remember when it was labeled Voodoo Gas and banned from DEMA... a few years later they welcomed NITROX with open arms when they saw the benefits, and felt the pressure of being stupid about it. Most of us diving it long before that laughed at DEMA for their flipflop :roll:

I looked these guys up and it seems they are based in Parker AZ, on the Colorado River. Guess doing checkout dives there is optional. Reminds of the Pace Picante Sauce commercial.... but if you are planning to dive with their certs maybe look up the resorts they seem to be affiliated with first?
http://www.divesda.com/scubatravel.html#Mexico

Just my PO2 on the matter....

h2operations
Master Diver
First Name: Paul

Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:43 pm

I think that we will see Card Wars coming soon with the larger agency trying to enforce their subscribing resorts and shops to only take their certs. There is a lot of people looking for " other agencies " to do training or really the CARD, for one reason or another. At the end of the day it is about $$$$ and PADI is owned by a financial group. The problem becomes with the unsuspecting person who spends $$ with whom ever is hanging out a shingle calling themselves an " Agency " and the " unsusp " loses money and time chasing rabbits down the sink hole. Is Sink Hole Diver a cert??? It will be next week I am sure.

BigSwell
Master Diver
First Name: Kevin

Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:46 am

A bit off topic:
Funny you mention "sink hole diver." Up in the Laguna Mountains there is a development of cabins which leases the land from the Department of the Interior, (Cleveland National Forrest) and as such has to use well water as they aren't plumbed from municipal sources. Well, they hired a diver recently to inspect the well walls (steel) and apparently he had some "special certification" I have no idea if that certification was due to the inspection techniques of the steel walls and welds or for the type of diving. I laughed when I heard this, I would have done it or free just to be able to say I dove in a well at 5,000 MSL, but they didn't ask me.

Return to “General Discussions”