BigRed96
Diver
First Name: Timmy

Vintage hose question

Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:12 pm

Hi All, I’m putting together a modern double hose setup using vintage regs and such. I have a Dm Aquamaster with all the modern goodies from VDH. I’m using a1085 for my octo and using a vintage Aqualung pressure gauge. The issue I’m running into is that I need a new high pressure hose for the gauge. I believe the hose is the old 3/8” hp. I’m having trouble getting a picture to attach but the gauge doesn’t use a spool, it has a bevel so the hose needs to have one. I have some other hoses that have the bevel I need but they are the newer bigger thread size, I believe 7/16. Anyone help a guy out?

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Vintage hose question

Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:26 pm

Sounds like you have one of the old non-swivel gauges that have a smaller male thread on the gauge than the modern hoses have? If you want to send photos to help ID the gauge you can send to me by the email link shown as a small envelope below my avatar.

Even better, if you can get an accurate outside diameter measurement of the male threads I can look to see if I have one of those hoses left.
The older I get the better I was.

BigRed96
Diver
First Name: Timmy

Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:41 pm

antique diver wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:26 pm
Sounds like you have one of the old non-swivel gauges that have a smaller male thread on the gauge than the modern hoses have? If you want to send photos to help ID the gauge you can send to me by the email link shown as a small envelope below my avatar.

Even better, if you can get an accurate outside diameter measurement of the male threads I can look to see if I have one of those hoses left.
Wow, thanks. I really appreciate it. I will send some pics shortly.

antique diver
Master Diver

Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:37 pm

I found a hose in good condition that fits, and it's holding pressure on a cylinder with 2700 psi with the valve closed (after letting the hose stretch for a while after years of sleep). I'll contact you via email to see if you still need a hose.

The tricky part about installing a hose on that gauge is that the exterior male threaded mechanism tends to turn and loosen the exterior nut as you tighten the hose. You need the nut pretty tight before hose goes on, BUT the plastic case is fairly fragile and it can crack during assembly of hose! I lube the threads and beveled metal to metal sealing surface with a little silicone grease to make the hose end threads snug up with a little less torque on the wrench (less chance of cracking the plastic housing). This goes against some engineering theory, but works well for me on certain 6000 psi HP fittings that aren't sealing easily.

The little fitting seen within the hose loop is an experimental swivel adapter to mate these gauges to late model HP hoses. I haven't finished it yet for testing, but expect to get back to it in a few days.
bqbfRo.jpg
dkanPx.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

antique diver
Master Diver

Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:22 pm

Update on tightening the original non-swiveling hoses to the older gauges: As I mentioned earlier the plastic housings on the old USD gauges pictured were of some concern when tightening the hose to the brass fitting that extends from the plastic case. I was tinkering with one yesterday and confirmed that a nylon washer of the right size can go into the female JIC type original hose end and effectively seal against the male end of the gauge connection with much less torque than is required with the metal-to-metal seal. That lessens the chance of cracking the plastic housing. The washer I used is the same as used under the 3/8" rupture disc of many Scuba valves, so is readily available.

I have often used this same trick with other JIC fittings of various sizes that were difficult to seal due to scratches or uneven/worn sealing surfaces. I normally use copper washers on the 6000 psi applications, and that works fine with less chance of extrusion than with the nylon washers at such high pressures. I think the copper washers would work quite well on the gauges too.

couv
Master Diver

Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:41 pm

antique diver wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:22 pm
Update on tightening the original non-swiveling hoses to the older gauges: As I mentioned earlier the plastic housings on the old USD gauges pictured were of some concern when tightening the hose to the brass fitting that extends from the plastic case. I was tinkering with one yesterday and confirmed that a nylon washer of the right size can go into the female JIC type original hose end and effectively seal against the male end of the gauge connection with much less torque than is required with the metal-to-metal seal. That lessens the chance of cracking the plastic housing. The washer I used is the same as used under the 3/8" rupture disc of many Scuba valves, so is readily available.

I have often used this same trick with other JIC fittings of various sizes that were difficult to seal due to scratches or uneven/worn sealing surfaces. I normally use copper washers on the 6000 psi applications, and that works fine with less chance of extrusion than with the nylon washers at such high pressures. I think the copper washers would work quite well on the gauges too.
Thanks for the rupture disc washer tip-that beats chasing down a specialty cone washer.
https://secoseals.com/

The OP might be interested in a thread from last year where we had a similar discussion.
https://vintagedoublehose.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=10106
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Return to “General Discussions”