Flakotter
Lung Diver
First Name: Traner

DA Navy Approved production dates

Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:59 pm

I hope everyone is staying healthy. Quick question, am I correct in saying the DA Navy Approved, blue or orange label, was only produced in 1957? I have been digging through the archived catalogs in between pretending to be a kindergarten/preschool teacher and working a new night schedule. I just wanted to make sure I was not missing anything in my very disjointed research. On that same thought, does anybody have a guess why there where two different label colors for a unit that only had a one year production run?

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Re: DA Navy Approved production dates

Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:21 pm

The DANA only appeared in the 1957 USD catalog, but it clearly was made into 1958 minimum because several of us have seen DAAM bodies drilled and put onto DANA. I had one a while ago you can probably find on this site by searching. IIRC the 58's were the orange labels and the earlier ones the blue labels.

There's a bunch of threads on here about this if you feel like digging ;)

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4392&p=40403&hilit= ... ved#p40403

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9500&p=76327&hilit= ... ved#p76327

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4670&p=40682&hilit= ... ved#p40682

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7177&p=60234&hilit= ... bel#p60234
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Flakotter
Lung Diver
First Name: Traner

Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:14 am

Ron, thanks for the reply and links. I need to get better at digging deeper in the archived post. I picked up a Navy approved last week that needs lots of elbow grease but it looks like most everything I need has already been posted. Thanks again for the help.

ovalis
Master Diver

Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:00 pm

I'm sure the Navy Approved's were made well into 1958. I highly doubt that USD would discontinue the Navy Approved the first year they introduced the AM. My theory on the blue & orange colored labels is that the blue label was used on the 1957 models and was just a carry over of the Navy Type DA with the 2nd stage facing away the intake horn same as all the previous years. When the AM was introduced in 1958, the 2nd stage was rotated 180 degrees to face the intake horn and had a blue label. So to avoid confusion with 2 similar looking regulators with blue labels (remember when the AM was introduced it did not have a hookah port and looked identical to the Navy Approved from the outside), they changed the Navy Approved to the orange color label. I've documented about a hundred of these regulators and all (there were 1 or 2 oddballs out of about 100) the blue label Navy Approved regulators have the 2nd stage facing away from the intake horn and all the orange labeled Navy Approved regulators have the 2nd stage facing the intake horn like the Aquamasters.

Return to “General Discussions”