Creed
Master Diver

Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:08 pm

Bryan wrote:I see what james is saying.....Instead of US writing it up why don't we just suggest that the person wanting to join READ and STUDY training manuals that already exist....Basic Scuba is a good example. There are tons of copies around....It would be easier to list the books and let the new NAVED diver practice in their pool or whatever they have avail. That way none of us have anything tied to our names as instructors as rules that We made up.
I agree. Just make a list of books and such to study. Maybe have someone write up articles on bouyancy control or clearing double hoses.

I was just pointing out the fact that the moment you start acting as an instructor, you get opened up to liability.

duckbill

Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:22 pm

Nemrod wrote:Of course, there will be the odd person who has no vintage diver freinds and he/she wants to learn. NAVED to the rescue!!!!!
Nemrod
A NAVED section to this forum would be fine for NAVED members to forum, but any interested diver introduced to NAVED should be able to do a search for "NAVED" and find a dedicated website for the club.
JMO

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:38 pm

I think in the future there will be a site that is stand alone for NAVED but as you can tell we have very few people requesting cards in the month of Feb......A good site cost some $$$ to build and maintain and since the memebers would have to help pay for that cost I think we should avoid it for as long as we can. I would hate to see the NAVED club on some free site with no bandwidth, a bunch of pop ups and spam postings. Not professional at all IMO.
We will get there I'm sure.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Creed
Master Diver

Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:55 pm

Bryan wrote:I think in the future there will be a site that is stand alone for NAVED but as you can tell we have very few people requesting cards in the month of Feb......A good site cost some $$$ to build and maintain and since the memebers would have to help pay for that cost I think we should avoid it for as long as we can. I would hate to see the NAVED club on some free site with no bandwidth, a bunch of pop ups and spam postings. Not professional at all IMO.
Bryan,
To let you know, I am waiting until after Sand Dog to request mine. David Haas has offered to take some action pics in full gear, so I plan on taking him up on it. Better than a pool shot.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:22 pm

Bryan,
To let you know, I am waiting until after Sand Dog to request mine. David Haas has offered to take some action pics in full gear, so I plan on taking him up on it. Better than a pool shot.

Well, I look forward to your modeling my famous DA since there is no way fellow Kanswanian that your going to be on that card with a stink'n Conshelf--- :P

A stand alone website would be great and the reason DuckBill mentions--so web searches for NAVED would return a result to a new vintage interested diver trying to find info but, like Bryan says, that costs money. I am thinking for now having it on this site as a seperate page is an excellent start. Unless we are willing to pay some small dues amount yearly?? to cover web costs and design and administrative/hosting fees for a professional looking site.
NEMROD

Creed
Master Diver

Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:40 pm

Nemrod wrote:Bryan,

Well, I look forward to your modeling my famous DA since there is no way fellow Kanswanian that your going to be on that card with a stink'n Conshelf--- :P

A stand alone website would be great and the reason DuckBill mentions--so web searches for NAVED would return a result to a new vintage interested diver trying to find info but, like Bryan says, that costs money. I am thinking for now having it on this site as a seperate page is an excellent start. Unless we are willing to pay some small dues amount yearly?? to cover web costs and design and administrative/hosting fees for a professional looking site.
NEMROD
Ah, but if you could see through this screen, you would see a package sitting behind me, with Bryan's name and address labeled on it. I fully intend to dive my DA this year :P

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:00 pm

Bryan wrote:I think in the future there will be a site that is stand alone for NAVED but as you can tell we have very few people requesting cards in the month of Feb......A good site cost some $$$ to build and maintain and since the memebers would have to help pay for that cost I think we should avoid it for as long as we can. I would hate to see the NAVED club on some free site with no bandwidth, a bunch of pop ups and spam postings. Not professional at all IMO.
Your statement bears out what my concern has been. Yes we have a small number of avid Vintage Equipment Divers but is there really a large demand/market for this information?

Sure there appears to have been an increase in double hose sales on ebay but I'd be willing to bet that the majority have gone to collectors not actual Vintage Equipment divers. :(
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

oldmossback

Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:16 pm

I dare say, once Luis' nozzle becomes available and more of us are able to make dives at any location with these old regs, more forks , er,,,folks will want one after they see one in use...........and want to know about NAVED.............

Creed
Master Diver

Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:27 pm

oldmossback wrote:I dare say, once Luis' nozzle becomes available and more of us are able to make dives at any location with these old regs, more forks , er,,,folks will want one after they see one in use...........and want to know about NAVED.............
Those will be pricey. I brought in Louis' design to a local machine shop, and their rough estimate was $600-700 for a prototype and $70-90/nozzle for a production run of 100. So, if we could get an order of 101, we could make up a kit for maybe $150 - 200(depending on how much the modified Conshelf parts would cost in bulk). And that's if we could find 100 orders. You're looking at a $2000 investment for the nozzle alone. Could we get enough orders to make it worth trying? I have a donor Conshelf, so the nozzle and a Conshelf 1st stage kit is all I would need, and that's still a pricey conversion. Of course, I might be able to get it done a little cheaper, if I can find someone who will do the non-CNC work by hand for cheaper. It wouldn't be hard to make a jig to drill the various holes and tap them. I'll mention that to the machine shop, and see if the price gets better.

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:01 pm

oldmossback wrote:I dare say, once Luis' nozzle becomes available and more of us are able to make dives at any location with these old regs, more forks , er,,,folks will want one after they see one in use...........and want to know about NAVED.............
I'd still be willing to bet that we'll remain a niche corner of the diving world.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, but we need to investigate the true possibilities/demand before a lot of time, effort & money are invested.
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

John Lundy
Lung Diver

Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:31 pm

I just sent in my payment and pic for a NAVED card before the March deadline :D . Any others for March?

John
John Lundy
NAVED Member #135

First dive in 1959, Voit 72 cuft tank and back pack, USD
Mistral regulator, Voit mask and Voit Viking fins.

pearldiver
Vintage Diver

Question

Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:26 am

I have a question to ask here regarding your subject of certifying divers for double hose etc. OK>..... If they are selling the new double hose regulator from USD or what ever the name of the company is now. If you went to get certified and were brand new..... Who would certify you if you had purchased that regulator and how would that person fit in with the others who had a single hose in the classroom. How would the instructor go about this, or did PADI give them any information on this, or what? Or can a new diver just go buy this double hose brand new in a box and use it with no training. What's the difference?? Or is there some specialty badge now from PADI you can attach to your jacket that says Double Hose Regulator Certified? :roll: I figure if they are selling the brand new double hose, there must be some kind of instruction to go along with it. I emailed Ed at USD and have not recieved a reply as of yet. He is supposed to be the one who designed it.

treasureman
Master Diver

Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:15 pm

An interesting observation.

Return to “NAVED - National Association of Vintage Equipment Divers”