h2operations
Master Diver
First Name: Paul

What is going to last the longest?

Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:58 am

I am new to the forum trying to get some help and insight. I am trying to get some help with the picking of single hose regulators. I have some conshelfs that I have been diving forever as well as a bunch of other newer regs. I am trying to see which regs I should keep knowing that parts are easily obtainable even as "vintage" I am tired of my local dive shops telling me to throw them away and buy new plastic fantastic rigs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. You guys have really helped me with my 2 hose questions.

tbone1004
Master Diver
First Name: Tom

Re: What is going to last the longest?

Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:17 am

best thing is to actually post your entire inventory, but with the guys on this forum being the guys on this forum, I doubt you'll have issues with most of them

h2operations
Master Diver

Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:20 pm

That sound like a solid idea. I am not sure what is happening to the industry and am feeling more comfortable with the OLD SCHOOL.
Thanks.

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:10 pm

There are three models that immediately come to my mind, and several others that my fellow SH collectors will add, I’m sure.

First, is my personal favorite, the Voit/Swimaster downstream second stage regulators built after 1968. The MR12 series in particular, as VDH sells service kits. HP poppets are readily available, with the VDH version used in the Cyclone, Phoenix, and Argonaut Kraken being a direct replacement. The Mares Abyss second stage diaphragm is a drop-in replacement, as well. With the upgraded silicone parts, the MR12 series will perform better than ever.

Next, on my list, is the Scubapro MK5/109 combination. Again, VDH comes through as an outstanding source of parts. Balanced piston and adjustable cracking effort second stage, all wrapped in an attractive package. Pretty tough to beat, and that is coming from a dedicated Voit fan.

Last, but not least, the Scubapro MK2/108. Rugged simplicity, that is all the reg a typical sport diver would ever need for dives in the 100’ and shallower range. One moving part in the first stage with two dynamic o-rings. While Bryan refers to the Mistral as the AK47 of DH regulators, my vote goes to the MK2/108 as the equivalent in the SH realm.

Just my two cents....

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

h2operations
Master Diver

Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:38 pm

Is the scuba pro personal choice? I am wondering why I see so many conshelfs regs and see them still used by the military. It appears that the yare very similar to the older dacor pacers, us cavellero , and some others. Wondering if the parts can be had and from where???

I don't see many scuba pros floating around ( no pun intended).

Looks like I need to run thru the archive of posts as I am seeing some information that might help.

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:52 pm

The Conshelf models, particularly the metal second stage, is an excellent choice. It is best to find one with a silicone second stage diaphragm, as they rarely go bad. VDH has all of the necessary parts for service.

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

h2operations
Master Diver

Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:11 pm

Thanks Greg! I was suspecting that. I noticed that they are still being used an look like work horses. I am looking for something to start working on myself, second stage wise, before I start rebuilding a 2 hose I have. I have a ton of gear after diving for 35 years work and pleasure and need to clean out the locker.
I am most impressed with the site and information sharing. Thanks once again!

tbone1004
Master Diver

Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:24 pm

so what regulators do you actually have in your inventory now?

Of not, Poseidon actually still provides parts and kits for every regulator they've made, since 1958.... Can't get some big body type parts but how often are you breaking those? All kits and "normal" type stuff that has to get replaced like springs, filters, etc. are all still available which is nice

That said, you can DIY parts for a lot of the vintage scubapro and conshelf stuff so that is what I would go with for ultimate longevity

h2operations
Master Diver

Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:56 pm

There are Aqua lungs,US Divers, US Cavalero, Dacor Pacers and several other Dacors, Poseidon, Scuba Pro, Sherwood, AMF ( have not used this one in years ) Atomic, Zeagle Tusa ( Not a fan of plastic fantastic), I have in total about >24 full rigs. I am not a hoarder ! remember I am down sizing.
I just got my 2 kids , just in the double digit age bracket, their Ccards, although they have "" been around Diving ""( They actually brought up tables to the instructor who told them " those are only discussed for historical purposes" ) .
Another issue is the ever soon to be extinct dive shop. The few that I have visited recently have been interesting at best.
I had a shop tell me that it was against the law to DIY my regs and that it would void the warranty. I kindly stated the warranty was up before he was born... It's a conshelf I was given when I stated diving in my early teens.. The guy who gave it to me had it since the dawn of time. I think this was back when they used Electric Eels to do electro plating.

Back to the kids, looking to have some long term things to leave them so that they can dive with their kids after I am gone. Does this make sense?

Thanks for the help. Not feeling like a castaway anymore

tbone1004
Master Diver

Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:15 pm

Which aqualungs and us divers? If they're new, I'd sell them. Still have good value, but can't get parts yourself. If they're conshelf's, I'd keep them since Bryan has parts
I'd ditch all of the Dacor's unless they have sentimental value. Not great breathers anyway and can't get parts
Poseidon's I'd keep since you can take a repair course from them if you want to, but the parts are still readily available for everything
Scubapro's I'd keep if they're old and Bryan has parts for them.
Sherwoods I'd probably ditch because I don't like them
Unsure about the AMF, but they look cool so if anything it's a nice paperweight
Sell the Atomic/Zeagle/Tusa's since you aren't plastic fans and they have value

h2operations
Master Diver

Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:29 pm

Tom thanks for the insight. Like I said : time to clear the locker out. The newer AL are Conshelf so I will keep, they mind as well be kept to hang out with their ancestors. I was told from a source at AL that the Conshelf line will be around for a while.
Problem with plastic is I have had a couple of the new purge button fronts fall apart after a not so long time. I keep my gear pretty much in controlled areas temp light humidity so no excuse for break down. Granted you get the warranty and the run around with it when you go to get it fixed.

Thanks to everyone again.

helomech17

Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:19 am

P!ease let me know what Dacor regulators you have and if you decide to sell them.
I still dive a couple of Dacor singles now and then.
Olympic 400 and 1st generation Pacer.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:25 am

helomech17 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:19 am
P!ease let me know what Dacor regulators you have and if you decide to sell them.
I still dive a couple of Dacor singles now and then.
Olympic 400 and 1st generation Pacer.
Is there any particular Dacor that you are interested in?
The older I get the better I was.

helomech17

Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:46 am

Olympic complete reg or first stage only.
Early Pacer stuff.
Anything - Dacor Dart, the one that requires a vacum pump assist along with your inhalation effort to get any air out of it. :-)
Non related ( sort of), Dacor SeaChute horse collar bc.
We like Dacor here.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:03 pm

helomech17 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:46 am
Olympic complete reg or first stage only.
Early Pacer stuff.
Anything - Dacor Dart, the one that requires a vacum pump assist along with your inhalation effort to get any air out of it. :-)
Non related ( sort of), Dacor SeaChute horse collar bc.
We like Dacor here.
I'll look to see what I have. Should have some pretty good Olympic stuff and some Pacer first and second stages left. Seems like I remember a Dart in there somewhere (but we called them something that rhymes with that). Should also have one of their original BC hoses and the metal parts of the inflator. Also a like-new 960, or at least the first stage.

Hopefully I can look into that tomorrow and give you a better idea. Maybe have time tonight.
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”