Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Re: What is your favorite vintage single hose reg?

Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:57 am

In every catalog that I have seen the aquamatic deluxe is yellow, the basic aquamatic is black, and the professional features a second stage that looks like the original calypso, but with a black label. This is what people erroneously refer to as the "black label single hose aqualung" regulator. I hope this helps gents.

R
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

kgehring
Master Diver

Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:50 am

Deluxe is yellow and std Aquamatic is black. I have a NIB aquamatic and several used. Also have 1 Deluxe in divable condition.
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:31 am

kgehring wrote:Deluxe is yellow and std Aquamatic is black. I have a NIB aquamatic and several used. Also have 1 Deluxe in divable condition.
When you get a chance would you mind measuring the length of the snorkel's upright section? Thanks!
The older I get the better I was.

Ron
Site Admin

Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:19 am

So Capn Tucker hooked me up with a MR12-II regulator to rebuild and keep, with an MR-12 second stage as an octo. So last night, beer in hand, I rebuild the first stage and both second stages. I really hate to say this, because it is Voit and all, but I really feel like this MR12-II breathes easier and has a better venturi than any other SCUBA regulator I own, modern or vintage. I would say that if you could only buy on regulator, this one should be it. It has officially supplanted the conshelf XIV as the one regulator that I would bring with me on a dive trip if I could only bring one. It has the strongest venturi effect that I have ever seen in a single hose regulator. I can actually make it freeflow just sitting here if I draw a fast enough breathe on it. This thing is amazing!

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:08 am

I have long been a fan of MR12-II and III for the reasons you noted. If lever height is adjusted right, the venturi stays under control in the water and doesn't go wild on you. Seems like all the modern regs have to have an external adjustment to achieve the same measure of control over the ease of breathing.

Like I have mentioned before, Francie has tried all kinds of later regulators but still prefers her MR12-III's (three of them in fact). I have used a bunch of other regs over the years, but would be perfectly satisfied just sticking with the III. Simple to work on too.
The older I get the better I was.

Gilldiver
Master Diver

Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:39 pm

Can we call a Posidon Cyclon Vintage? Its been around sinc forever but is still in production.

Then there is anyone of the Conshelfs up to the XIV.
Double Hose Regulators, It not just a Hobby, it’s a Disease

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:06 pm

slonda828 wrote:So Capn Tucker hooked me up with a MR12-II regulator to rebuild and keep, with an MR-12 second stage as an octo. So last night, beer in hand, I rebuild the first stage and both second stages. I really hate to say this, because it is Voit and all, but I really feel like this MR12-II breathes easier and has a better venturi than any other SCUBA regulator I own, modern or vintage. I would say that if you could only buy on regulator, this one should be it. It has officially supplanted the conshelf XIV as the one regulator that I would bring with me on a dive trip if I could only bring one. It has the strongest venturi effect that I have ever seen in a single hose regulator. I can actually make it freeflow just sitting here if I draw a fast enough breathe on it. This thing is amazing!
I have to agree; the MR12-II owns all. I still really like my Viking 40, but the MR12-II blows it (and every other reg I've ever tried) out of the water..
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:28 pm

antique diver wrote:I have long been a fan of MR12-II and III for the reasons you noted. If lever height is adjusted right, the venturi stays under control in the water and doesn't go wild on you. Seems like all the modern regs have to have an external adjustment to achieve the same measure of control over the ease of breathing.

Like I have mentioned before, Francie has tried all kinds of later regulators but still prefers her MR12-III's (three of them in fact). I have used a bunch of other regs over the years, but would be perfectly satisfied just sticking with the III. Simple to work on too.
There is a very good reason why Mares uses the VAD (Vortex Assisted Design) on all of their regs. They actually had a hand in the engineering phase of the MR12 II back when AMF owned them and Voit. I absolutely love the Proton Metal second stages. They are as simple as any vintage single hose reg, and they easily meet the US Navy Class "A" standards when paired with any of the Mares diaphragm first stages. They virtually eliminate "dry mouth" and are ultra-reliable in cold water.

Greg Barlow
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

Ron
Site Admin

Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:42 pm

I almost want to breathe off of the thing in my living room, it's almost easier than breathing on my own :lol: Now if we could just find a way for it to put pressurized booze directly into my mucus membranes...

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator

Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:53 pm

Ron,

Did you install a Mares silicone diaphragm? If you need any additional ones, just let me know.

Greg
Greg Barlow
TDI Adv. EAN
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

Ron
Site Admin

Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:20 pm

I got some nice clear silicone ones, but I will need more once I use the two that I have left. Thanks for continuing to help me out!

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator

Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:42 pm

I have the latest ones from Mares. They are black in color, and are very pliable. Just let me know.

Greg
Greg Barlow
TDI Adv. EAN
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:32 am

My MR12IIs have just been refitted for diving this year. I would bring them to SD but I am concerned about the travel restrictions and weight and bringing my camera and being shunned for having a quasi vintage single hose.

But, they certainly do breath nicely, now if I can just get this R109 back in shape. It may become my favorite.

Nem

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:46 am

Nemrod wrote:My MR12IIs have just been refitted for diving this year. I would bring them to SD but I am concerned about the travel restrictions and weight and bringing my camera and being shunned for having a quasi vintage single hose.

But, they certainly do breath nicely, now if I can just get this R109 back in shape. It may become my favorite.

Nem
Yep, those MR12-IIs are one year past the "cutoff", so no dice.. :lol:
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:06 pm

capn_tucker wrote:
Nemrod wrote:My MR12IIs have just been refitted for diving this year. I would bring them to SD but I am concerned about the travel restrictions and weight and bringing my camera and being shunned for having a quasi vintage single hose.

Nem
Yep, those MR12-IIs are one year past the "cutoff", so no dice.. :lol:
Well, what a drag, I will just have to dive a Voit twin hose :D

Nem

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”