BigSwell
Master Diver
First Name: Kevin

Replaceable/Servicable Volcano Orifice: Conshelff

Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:43 am

I've been servicing a few newer Aqualung first stages with the oring/orifice I think is also on the Kraken and in the Phoenix. As I was looking at it, I noticed the underside opposite the volcano is convex. So I wondered if this was done on purpose incase you happen to have an older Conshelf or double hose reg with a milled orifice and it gets damaged, could you get one of these and position it OVER the damaged orifice? I'd think you would also need to get a longer pin to match the spacing difference. Luis or others, has this been done? If so are there any hints/tips you would recommend? I have a Conshelf with a scratched edge on the orifice and it seems Herman no longer has the sanding tool he made years ago to buff it out. I'd like to service it if possible.

-Kevin

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: Replaceable/Servicable Volcano Orifice: Conshelff

Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:17 pm

You cannot stack one orifice on top of the other. There is no space.

The space inside the regulator is determined by all the parts that need to fit. You can't add extra parts.

The cone recess in the volcano orifices that VDH (Bryan) was selling is needed for the Cyclone first stage. The Cyclone uses the straight pin with the tall sleeve capturing the pin in the mushroom head. That sleeve can interfere with the bottom of the standard Aqua Lung type of volcano orifice. Therefore I modified it to accept this configuration.

The extra conical opening on the back of the orifice will not hurt the Argonaut or the Phoenix (it may actually help, but that is an involve subject and the difference would is minimal).

Making one orifice that worked on all three regulators made sense. But the Argonaut and the Phoenix can use either volcano orifice.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

BigSwell
Master Diver

Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:52 pm

Thanks for the info Luis. Any advice for fixing the ding on the volcano orifice in the conshelf or is it now just a paperweight once a nick happens? I also wondered if it could be milled down flush and replaced with a removable orifice. I'd like to salvage it if possible. If not, there's always fleabay. Seems conshelfs are being posted regularly at reasonable prices. The catch is, you have no idea what the inside is like so it's a bit of roulette.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:19 pm

Machining the bottom of a Conshelf to use the removable volcano orifice is not an option. There is not enough space or material. The replaceable volcano orifice is about 0.28 tall. You would need that extra space. It is not happening...

You can try polishing the original orifice. A lot depends how bad is the scratch/ nick. For very light scratches, I have used a pencil eraser. If you don't have access to one of Herman's tools, you can use a wooden dowel with a little piece of very fine sand paper stuck to the end. Just rotate it very lightly and do a little at a time. Check it often and go slow.

Used Conshelf on eBay are always for sale and most of them are going to be OK. Many of them have never been service, which is a very good thing. That means there is much lower chance that they were damaged by a human...

I have purchased many used Conshelf and very rarely do I see a bad one.

Good luck
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

BigSwell
Master Diver

Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:56 pm

Thanks for the advice Luis, I'll see what I can do with an eraser and or fine sandpaper and a dowel. I really appreciate your time and the knowledge you share with us.
-Kevin

scrane
Skin Diver
First Name: William

Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:26 am

If you are hesitant to attack the volcano yourself you night get in contact with rsingler on scubaboard. He has a lot of experience with polishing these orifices on single hose primaries. I think there is some pretty good information in the forums at scubaboard about reconditioning orifices.

BigSwell
Master Diver

Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:13 pm

Thanks William, I appreciate the heads-up. I'm not on the scubaboard but I've been able to view topics from time to time without having to be a member so if I run into issues I'll look there. So far... so good with my first Conshelf first stage. 3 more to rebuild...

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”