Forum rules
Regulator specific information can also be found on the main page of the website in the Regulator Id Guide.
Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Get your hoses clean!

Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:24 am

If you are trying to get your original hoses clean and remove all the brown color film that seems to coat older rubber goods in every crack and crevice you might try your washing machine…..I have done this a dozen times now and it works better than anything I have found. I took the hoses and mouthpiece from William Pique’s notorious black regulator and ran them through a gentle cycle with regular laundry soap and hot water. I threw in a few old towels to keep the hoses from being beat around in the spin cycle. They came out looking as close to new as 40 year old stuff can get! All the brown discoloration was gone and they look great inside and out. I hang them up to air dry for a few days and they are ready to go!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

treasureman
Master Diver

Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:56 pm

what a great tip. let me see. hoses are black, so i cant mix them in with the whites.

Cold water wash or just warm.

But what a great way to get them clean. I got several pairs to toss in now. I had been using a bottle brush and some dish soap to clean them...to no avail.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:08 pm

You can't tell it but there are 3 pair of hoses and 10 mouthpieces in here!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Turtleguy9
Skin Diver

For new hoses too

Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:45 am

Aloha All
I have used this method on the new black hoses I have purchased. I thought the new hoses had an objectionable smell. It sure seemed to help.
Turtleguy9
Roger

treasureman
Master Diver

Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:46 pm

Wow what a nice clean wshing machine. Guess I am going to have to stop using mine as a brass tumbler for reloading.

A great way to clean hoses. is there any detergent or liquid preferred over others.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:36 pm

I just use whatever liquid detergent is on the shelf in the laundry room....Nothing special as far as I know.

treasureman
Master Diver

Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:58 pm

I like your avatar turtleguy.. nice clean and clear water. excellent vis...sigh!!!! Me here stuck in the icy grip of the frozen north for six months.

of course the pix of the double hose is nice too. get many divers trying out the vintage dive

Return to “Technical Information / Diver Training Information”